People wanting to speak to their dead ones were always willing to pay a lot, and it was sad that Letty used that to her advantage. It was also sad because speaking to the dead wasn't one of the other girl's talents.

Letty was completely unaware that Pike was drooling over her and standing not even a foot away from her. He was so busy staring at the other girl that this was the first moment of peace he's given Nevaeha since he'd shown up.

"I need you to visit some people for me. Outside of town."

"Why? If it's a message for someone, then there're things called phones. Come into this century and get one."

"It's slightly more complicated than that. They're human, and I want you to pretend to be a ghost or something. An angel. I want you to convince, or even scare, them into letting their daughter move in with her aunt. They are moving, so make sure it's far away from here."

The other girl raised a perfectly arched eyebrow. "For eighty-nine dollars? I don't think so."

"Even if it's helping someone?"

Letty's face said it all.

Nevaeha ran a hand over her weary eyes. She had to sleep soon. The potion she'd made last night hadn't been strong enough to overcome Pikes' rants and screaming. When she'd been close to sleeping, he'd got in her face.

She really didn't like him.

Or Letty.

"How much will it cost me?"

"I can tell it's important to you, so it's going to cost you more. Five hundred?"

She didn't think she could come up with that much if she wanted to.

"I'm not opposed to trading with you. You can come work with me until you work it off."

She'd rather pull out all her teeth and gum her food for the rest of her life then to use people's grief as a way to make money.

"Stop making that face. For one thing, you can't afford the wrinkles and it's not as bad as you make it out to be. What is wrong with letting people talk to their loved ones? The whole reason the dead stick around is because of unfinished work."

"You can't talk to the dead. You lie to people."

She smiled. "But you won't be. For every thousand you earn me, puts a hundred towards what you owe."

"That doesn't seem fair." Her eyes widened. "Are you saying you make that much?"

"Do we have a deal?"

"I won't lie."

"That's fine. I'll make everyone pay in advance."

"Fine, but I want you to do it tonight. I have to get Bethany away from her parents."

"Do you have an object of the person you want me to visit?"

"If I had an object, I'd just pull them into my dreamworld."

Letty nodded. "True. It can be done, but it's not near as easy. It will be done tomorrow. I have a date tonight."

"You have to make sure it works."

"I'm good at everything I do. It will work."

"I was about to say thank you, then I remembered you aren't doing it from the goodness of your heart."

"Give me a week before you start working. I want to have flyers made. Maybe a sign. I'm sure that you will draw in a lot of people." She smiled. "Hi, Ms. Parker, you're right on time for your appointment. Come have a seat. I have a wonderful feeling about finding your husband today."

"Mr. Parker is standing right behind her, Letty."

"Exactly what I said. He's going to be easy to find. Nevaeha, would you like to take this one?"

She rolled her eyes. Mr. and Mrs. Parker spent their whole marriage not talking, so she was sure they had a lot to talk about. "Fine, but I'm keeping my eighty-nine bucks. Hi Mrs. Parker. How's Ben doing?"

"About the same as always. Hardly leaves the basement so he can play those video games of his. Alison told me you are working wonders with her Silas. Would you like my Ben too?"

"Not in this lifetime. Since Ben is his best friend, why didn't he move in with you two?" Nevaeha asked.

The older woman smiled sweetly. "Because I put my foot down and threatened to not pay the light bill. One no good, non-working, slacker living off my family's money is enough for me. You know, you just reminded me why I didn't talk to my husband while he was alive. He was the biggest slacker of them all. I think I'd rather buy myself something nice. Nice seeing you, Nevaeha. Letty."

Nevaeha's smile to Letty was one of innocence. "Sorry about that. See you next weekend."

For someone who didn't frown, Letty still found a way to show she was unhappy with her. "I don't believe you're sorry at all, Ne."

She wasn't.