"Of course father, yes yes yes." she muttered, burying her claws in her woven blankets, flexing them uncontrollably. "You must go...otherwise a crowded brain will lead to events of you making mistakes even I cannot follow. Please leave—the stars wish it to be so." Terracotta clenched her talons, willing them to stop flexing in frustration and sadness.

"Thanks for understanding, Terra." Terracotta smiled weakly at him, but she knew he didn't understand a word she said. Taproot stood up and climbed out the window, but not before turning back around to meet his daughter's eyes, smiling. "See you when your mother brings home one of those disgusting dead snakes." and then he was gone.

Terracotta stared after him, tilting her head wonderingly. Her father, despite his wonderful attitude and caring demeanor, had never, ever told her he loved her.

Terracotta swept gracefully through the plaza, scanning the stands, markets and art setups, noting that she had tried to fit in with almost every one of them—but alas, she wasn't meant to be a healer. Or a market sales dragon. Or a merchant, artist, cook, trader or taskdoer for that matter. She sighed as a pretty flower breeder giggled at her behind her talon, whispering to her friend. Now I'm known for being terrible at everything, she thought. Why on earth did my parents make me apply for innumerable positions!? Terracotta kicked at the bright green forest foliage beneath her claws. She despondently scanned the crowded street for anything that she hadn't tried to be a part of, and failed miserably. The only available area was a scrap of bare grass, sitting lonely next to a healer's antidote stand. I wish I could sit right there and do nothing, she thought. Maybe that would show everyone how amazing I am at things. Too bad my prophecy talents are useless. Terracotta swept her tail across the dirt, frustrated.

And then it hit her. What if my powers were useful? she thought. More then just reading my family and Allspice's tiny little prophecies? What if everyone knew about me...and they could pay for a vision, if I have one? Terracotta looked around excitedly, her gaze falling on that of a bright orange and red RainWing, dozing at his setup. She saw a glimpse of his future—a couple of loud dragonets, a pretty gal, or maybe a couple of pretty gals.

Whoa. She thought.

I can do this.

The next three days were spent tidying up that sad little patch of grass, turning it into a makeshift stand. Terracotta bought a large sturdy basket with her parent's earnings, turning it upside down to form an improvised worktable. She built a simple frame out of eight very large branches over the hamper, hanging all sides with a dense, impenetrable layer of vines, leaving the top covered with a thin layer of violets. The entrance to her homemade stand was draped with honeysuckles instead of coarse vines, offering a sweep-aside curtain entrance for her customers. She hung a piece of parchment on a branch that read 'Terracotta's Future Glimpses.' What a cheesy name, she thought. If i think of anything else, I'll change it. But of course, she didn't think of anything else. Terracotta, of all things, wasn't a witty dragonet.

Terracotta flew back to her treetop home after the last day of setting up, quietly sneaking into her small bedroom. Her mother hadn't been back for days, and Taproot was starting to worry—Terracotta didn't want to bother him with her silly ideas. I still have no earthly idea of what I'm going to do, she thought as she scrambled around her room, finally finding the little mahogany box under her bed that held three coins. My mother is going to kill me.

Terracotta soared towards the market, landing gracefully next to her makeshift stand, her beautiful wings stretching wide to take in the green-tinted sunlight. When she padded over to move aside the curtain of honeysuckle, she took a sharp breath of surprise—an older female RainWing was standing in front of the upturned basket, her brows knitted, probably wondering what on earth this place was.

"Oh, uh...greetings!" Terracotta stumbled awkwardly. "Is there anything I can assist yourself with?"

The dragon turned around, her eyebrows raised in a questioning manner. "Aren't you the dragonet that failed miserably at my shop?" she asked. Terracotta dipped her head in embarrassment, her cheeks flushing a shade of scarlet. "I believe so, yes yes." she mumbled.

"Well, I'm sure you remember me as Banana," the dragoness rolled her eyes. "Come on girl!" she snapped suddenly. "Are you going to 'glimpse my future' or not?" Her tail swished back and forth impatiently. "I highly doubt your serious about this mumbo-jumbo, but I can spare a few coins to brighten up your miserable life."

Terracotta's glasses slipped down her snout in surprise. "Of course!" she said, scrambling to place her money box on the counter, and settling into her small spot behind it. She tried to ignore how awkward she felt, and took a long look at Banana, closing her eyes...

The flight of an assassin.

A dragon's egg splitting down the middle.

A a heap of gold, black talons running through it with pleasure.

Terracotta gasped, trying not to choke. She saw Banana's sarcastic gaze directed towards her, but it was as if it was from miles away. An assassin, she thought, her head screaming with terrible, splitting pain. Murder, reward, what does this all mean? I'm absolutely unprepared for this, Terracotta thought, trying not to throw up as splintered eggshells and bright red blood spilled into the corners of her mind.

"So?" Banana said, amusement playing across her snout. "What 'amazingly terrifying things' await me in my future? Hmm?" she fluttered her yellow wings with mirth.

"It's...complicated." Terracotta said swallowing, trying to shove the vision out of her mind. "But you must listen to me, yes, or what lies ahead is definite—they cannot be saved. None of them."

Banana bought none of it. "This is ridiculous—I always hated the way you speak—I'm leaving, take your 'hard earned' coins girl." she tossed two pieces of bronze onto the counter, storming out of the tent, her angry red tail flicking out behind her.

"Wait!" Terracotta said, clambering through the honeysuckles to catch up with the RainWing. "Please do not go—you mustn't ignore what it is i have to utter. Are you expecting eggs?" she blurted, turning Banana's angry face purple. "Yes!" she snapped. "Why do you ask?"

"Three of your eggs will be split in half by the talons of a hired assassin, and the fourth will be stolen—gone forever. Please listen to me, yes? Your dragonets will die if we do not do something, no no no!" Terracotta struggled to keep up with Banana's long steps.

"You are worthless, aren't you?" Banana said with a cold glare. "What a pile of dung." she turned away, disgusted, and took off into the air. "I would try a different approach on your next customer!" she yelled behind her, muttering foul insults.

Terracotta sank to the ground, her tail twining miserably around her legs. She ducked her head, trying to hide her flowing tears from the dragons around her, who had stopped their many tasks and were taking their precious time to stare at her. A young dragon carrying a bushel of fruit looked at her with pity as he passed by, led by an older dragon in front of him.

Terracotta stooped into her pitiful shack, her wings drooping, eyes a dark shade of blue. What am I supposed to do? she thought. I wish the future wasn't so inevitable.