Chapter 17

Violet King

I should've known.

This is all my fault.

"Stop stressing Cara Mia. Relax." He holds me to him but I'm as stiff as a board.

"I can't relax Ace! This is my fault!" I shoot back anger pouring through me.

I'd been so caught up in trying to get the girls to like Ace and trust him I completely forgot about what was ahead. Well I didn't forget I just put it to the back of my mind and decided to enjoy the now and deal with the later whenever that time comes. Well guess what? It's here!

I got a text message:

I've found you little mouse.

That's it. That's all the text said and it couldn't have been from anyone else apart from you know who.

It pisses me off that I almost had a panic attack as I read the text. Ace saw my pale state in the bathroom and rushed to me holding me trying to calm me down but I couldn't. I couldn't think straight. It was like the whole world was spinning.

The girls don't even know about any of this. I know they're tired of running away from our problems, hell even I am.

I hate the fact that the mere thought of seeing him again scares me. I'm more scared for the girls than myself. Especially sky. She so young. They all are.

I can't allow them to get hurt! Over my dead body. Which is why the next words that come out of my mouth are nothing but the truth.

"If I die—

"Shut up" he doesn't even let me finish.

"Ace if I die promise me—

"Shut up"

"Stop telling me to shut up Ace! I'm telling you something serious here. This isn't a joke!" I snap looking up at him.

Staring into his eyes realization hit me all at once.

When did I become so dependent on someone? More so a man? Men have done nothing good to me in this life. But he was good to me. He didn't hurt me or tell me mean things or force himself onto me. He just let me be.

"Good things don't happen to girls like me Ace." I tell him.

"That's going to have to change baby cause I'm going to make sure everything good in the world happens to you." He leans down pressing a kiss to the corner of my mouth. "Till my last breathe Amore." He whispers.

_________________

Ace Valentino

It breaks my heart to see her hurt. She puts up this whole 'I hate everyone' facade; which is true, she does hate everyone but it's mainly a protective measure to keep her from getting hurt. Again.

"You better tell me something Roger." I grumble the moment he walks into my office.

By the time we got to the safe house last night the place was trashed and the girls were gone. We search high and low for them. The house was completely trashed and they set up their own cameras and waited for the exact moment we realized they weren't hiding anywhere to set off their bomb.

We were lucky enough to make it out of that place.

Some of my men are still searching the forest as we speak but we all know we won't find them there.

There's something missing.

Im not the only one feeling it, it's like there's a weird feeling about this whole situation.

There is only one person who can help with that but she isn't in the right state of mind right now and I don't want to pressure her.

I know that she trusts me but there's a limit to that trust.

How much do I not know?

I sigh running my hands down my face.

I've been putting my businesses behind and now I have so much shit to catch up on I know that I'll have to pull a full night.

"We got nothing boss. These people cover their tracks clean but I'm not giving up, I'll find something for you. I just need time."

"Time is the one thing we don't fucking have" I get up and walk over to the shelf and grab a bottle taking a few gulps. Im going to need alcohol to get through this day.

It doesn't help the fact that a certain someone insisted on coming to work today.

I'm worried about her, more worried than I should be. I shouldn't have gotten this tangled up with her but now that I have it's like I can't untangle myself.

I couldn't even if I wanted to.

This whole situation is fucked up. But I don't care, not anymore.

I made a promise to her and I plan to keep it.

Till my last breath