“That’s nice” I said, rolling onto my side.

“I’d say I’m happy to go back, yeah” she also got onto her side, her raven hair spreading on my pillow.

“At least you won’t have to lie about who I’ve been spending time with” I chuckled.

“Isn’t your female college professor quite similar to a good Christian boy at the end of the day?”

“I wouldn’t really say so” I laughed, playfully smacking her arm.

“Plus, I’ll only technically be your professor for this year” 

“True. That’s good though, isn’t it?” I asked.

“Depends. I like seeing you sitting in class three times a week while struggling to follow the lesson” 

“First of all, you could literally see me everyday if you wanted. And you’d probably be able to see me in college even if not in class, anyway. Also, I’m perfectly capable of following your lessons now” I nervously said, realizing I myself didn’t sound convinced by the last sentence.

“Whatever helps you sleep at night” she scoffed, moving her face a few inches from mine. “I know I make you nervous, you’re not really good at hiding it” she added in a lower voice tone.

I gulped, feeling heat rise to my face and surprised at the sudden attitude.

Maybe she wasn’t completely wrong, since even in the next few weeks Mei asking me if I was okay during Sam’s lessons because of me visibly struggling was a recurring event during them. 

I ended up getting 90% in two of my exams and 96% in the other. Guessing which one was the last one is pretty easy.

Which still made me feel quite guilty, especially because Mei got a 75%. She wasn’t that pissed about it because she thought she’d done worse, but still.

The two of us took the train to get back home together once Thanksgiving had arrived, since she had to get to my town to arrive.

Once we got off I walked to her bus stop with her and headed home, mentally preparing myself to become a whole different person once I walked through the door.

I desperately wished it could be the following evening, when I’d finally get to meet Vic, skipping the whole Thanksgiving situation of the day after.

“Hello, my darling!” my mom greeted me as I entered the house.

The familiar scent of wall paint mixed with food which had probably been cooking since the afternoon immediately made me feel as if I’d never even left the place.

“Hey mom” I smiled, taking my coat off.

“Oh, how was the journey? Have you had something to eat?” she said, seeming not willing to let me move until I’d answered her question.

“It was fine, and yeah, I ate a sandwich on the train, I'm good. How are you? Where’s dad?”

“Good. Just tell me if you want anything else, we have tons of food. I’m the same as I was when you left honestly, nothing much has changed. Your dad is…probably asleep on the couch…” 

“Typical” I laughed.

“John!! Ellie’s here!” she screamed.

“Mom, you don’t have to-”

“Oh! Oh, I’ll be right there” I heard my dad’s voice with a confused tone coming from the living room.

I later on used the “I’m tired” move to go upstairs to my room and have one of the last peaceful moments I was probably going to have in those few days.