As he passed by Sibyl and made his way to his throne, the poor girl could not help but shiver in awe completely trapped by him.

When Aleric seated his eyes narrowed as he took in all before him. His features remained neutral, and it felt like an eternity before he finally spoke.

"You have all gathered here this morning to witness the trial of the Countess Alvore and her daughter Sibyl Alvore." Aleric began, his voice powerful and projecting, "Charges will not be taken lightly against the accused."

The Kings eyes fell on the Countess in particular when he stated those words before glancing over to the side where his cousin Louis Trencent stood. He gave a nod in the man's direction indicating that it is now his que to speak.

Louis gave a nod and stepped forward, "Charges of unlawful confinement, mistreatment, neglect, abuse, attempted murder, blackmail and poisoning have been placed forward."

There was a gasp and mumbling that began through the Court. They were collectively shocked.

"Silence." A guard ordered before Louis continued.

"Another crime recently brought to attention; the framed poisoning of our King."

"Lies!" Sibyl screeched unable to hold it in anymore, "You have no evidence!"

Louis looked over to Aleric as if asking for the approval which Aleric gave.

"Bring them in." Louis ordered.

From a side door, two men were suddenly escorted in. They were not chained.

The Countess recognised them but gave them no more acknowledgement than a side eye before ignoring them and continuing her silence.

"Step forward and state your name, occupation and involvement." Louis ordered.

The first man did so, taking his hat off and holding it in his hands as he bowed to the King and Louis before speaking.

"Your Majesty and Your Grace," He started turning to face the court but not completely as to not turn his back on the King, "My name is Jacob Hamilton, I am a coachman. A few moons ago I was ordered to collect a a large wooden chest near the Alvore estate before dawn and stage an accident."

"And?" Louis questioned slowly pacing back and forth with his hands behind his back.

"The order came from a mysterious man. He was dressed in a dark cloak that hid his uniform, but I am most certain he was an Alvore guard." The man took a deep breath before nervously continuing, "I only accepted the job because the pay was good."

"What exactly happened?" Louis continued his interrogation.

"I did not ask any questions," The man looked up, "Many people have dirty business that they wished to get rid of and they pay good money for silence, so I did as I was ordered. I took the carriage with the strange chest deep into the mountains on the path to the Port Town of Canterbre. The weathered was bad but it made my job easier as the horses lost control and fell down a cliff."

King Aleric's knuckles whitened at the coachman's words, but he kept his expression blank. He needed to remain calm in order for the trial to proceed.

"And how did you survive?" Louis's eyes were sharp and almost accusing.

"I - I just managed to jump off just before." The Coachman looked guilty at his feet, "No one could have survived a fall from that height. Both the horses didn't make it."

"Thank you for your honesty." Louis dismissed, "Sorin Alvore, I call you forward."

The Countess stirred as her son appeared from the people behind her. She had not noticed him earlier, but she was suddenly relieved to see his presence.

She knew her son would defend her and not abandon her like Walter did. Sorin was a good man who cared strongly about his family after all.

Sorin looked straight as he walked to the front. He avoided looking at his mother and his sister the entire time.

Sorin bowed at the King and acknowledged Louis before finally speaking. He kept his gaze low.

He was conflicted but he knew that he needed to do what was right. It destroyed him to do this, and he knew that he would never forgive himself but if he did not, he would hate himself even more.

How had it come to this?

How had his own family that he tried so desperately to protect do this?

Worst of all, how had it taken him so long to realise it?

Sorin took a deep breath and began to inform the Court of his discoveries. It was the hardest thing he ever had to do but he was a strong person so he would not let it show.

"During our return from the Port Town of Canterbre, my father, the Count Alvore and I took the mountain route back to the capital. Along the way we encountered the wreckage. This was the claimed wreckage that my sister's death was reported to have taken place."

The Court was confused, there had never been any mention of Sibyl Alvore's death or sudden disappearance. They all looked over to the miserable girl who was surprisingly doing a very good job at holding her tongue.

"My sister, Erica Alvore," Sorin cleared up the misunderstanding, but it only left the court with more questions, "Was reported to have died in that accident. Upon investigation there were signs of a broken chest but no dead bodies other than that of the two horses."

Sorin finally looked up, "I had originally assumed that Erica faked her own death but later discovered that she indeed was involved in that accident. Thanks to the help of a physician from the Port Town of Canterbre, my sister is alive."

Sorin's eyes moved to the Duke and Duchess of Waisend, beside them stood a greying man. He seemed exhausted having made the four-day journey from Canterbre in just over two days as he rode through the night and only arrived less than an hour ago.

"Please come forward Physician Ron."