16| Love Experiment

It has been a week since the Halloween incident, we didn't speak or make eye contact. But I couldn't say I didn't secretly glance at him. The school was still intact from our breakup; Mr. Allen's theory was wrong. We weren't their source of happiness or whatever it was. Maybe we were just inspiration and something to gawk over, hope that you can find your 'soulmate' in this prison.

No one really cared when we broke up. There were different girls straddling Curtis' lap every day. But after that night, I was determined to change. I don't want to be a pushover or someone who's afraid of taking chances and risks. I want to be confident and daring. I want to know how it feels like to be alive, starting with going to a night club. I convinced one of the guys from school to make me a fake ID. He obliged. Now here I was, pondering, should I wear my black or red dress?

•••

"I'll have another cosmopolitan." I slurred at the bartender. He started making the same drink I've ordered the whole night. I sat at one of the bar stools leaning on my hand for support.

"Thanks." I took a sip from my drink. The aroma of strong alcohol should have affected me, but I drank way too many drinks. I wasn't thinking and functioning properly.

After chugging down my tenth or fifteenth drink, I started dragging my body around the building, trying not to bump into the sweaty bodies. I failed of course. "Watch where you're going!" The guy exclaimed. Was it just me or did he sound familiar?

"Audrey what the hell are you doing here dressed like that." He looked at me up and down; I felt so degraded. Maybe I should have worn my red dress.

"The question is Owen, what are you doing here."

"Owen?" He questioned, confused.

"See I'm not the drunk one that wants a pet iguana named Lizzy. It's you, Owen. And if you get one, invite me over so we can feed it baby carrots." I smiled, widely.

"Um yeah sure. Listen let me take you home. I hate to break it to you but you're one of those easy girls from the bar that anyone could get because you're drunk and vulnerable. So let's go, okay?"

"Stop using words I don't understand," I complained.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow. I need to bring her home." He turned to his friends, while his other hand slipped around my waist.

"You sure? You can keep here, and I bet you she'll entertain us." A guy said, then a chorus of laughter followed.

"If you fuck with her; you're fucking with me too." Owen's voice was on edge. He was never the aggressive type, protective yes, aggressive no.

"Understood Big C." The guy from earlier said seriously.

"Remember that next time you plan on watching her change in the locker room," Owen said.

"You're like a macho nacho, you and your cheese," I said, bopping his nose.

"Okay."

"Why are you so serious? Just let loose and have fun."

He started up his car and started driving. I have no clue what time it is or where exactly I am. "I'll let loose and have fun when you don't look that."

"You don't like it?" I asked, looking down at my dress.

"Fuck Audrey, you know how much I like black on you. So, of course, I like it." He glanced at me.

"But the guys in there looked like they wanted to undress you. Only if you could hear the intolerable, disgusting stuff they say they want to do to you."