4| Sleeping With A Mop

"This is the stupidest thing you will ever do in your life. You know that right? Cause as your friend I think I should hit you with a rock to bring you back from whatever made you agree." As soon as I opened the door, Brie barged in.

 She clung to the nearest object, panting.

The three of us decided that it would be smarter if we got two girls' opinion on who was the better kisser. So I called Brie, and her fifteen-minute drive became an eight-minute drive.

"I know, but we have no homework, and it's only 6:48. Well, I have nothing else to support this idiotic plan." I sighed.

"Well before the tongues go down throats and all. I want you to know that you might be risking your heart tonight. Kissing your best friend could awaken a new feeling. Or maybe who you thought was your bitter rival could ignite something in you. This is the worst gamble you could make. If you put your heart on the line, make sure you're willing to put it back together when it breaks." She gave me a worried smile, followed by a tight hug.

"You have been watching way too many dramas."

"Blame my mom for dragging me into this Polish drama. It's so good." She sighed happily. "Hailey's relationship with Peter is on a whole new intense level, and I can't wait for the next episode tonight."

•••

"Get it?" Curtis asked.

"We're kissing each other, this isn't chess," I said.

The lights were turned off, and a hand grabbed mine.

Brie's words echo in my mind before either Owen or Curtis' lips could clash onto mine. This is the worst gamble you could make. If you put your heart on the line, make sure you're willing to put it back together when it breaks.

"Stop, I can't." I fought back the bittersweet memories of my first love. A love filled with tears, joy, and heartbreak. I gave him so many chances, and in the end, he hurt me.

Someone ran to open the light, only to find out that I was seconds away to kissing Owen.

I didn't need to explain why, I just had to say two words, "tenth grade."

Just like that the memories came flooding back and the tears did not stop, Owen pulled me into a hug. I nuzzled my nose into the crook of his shoulder. Just like I expected, he was wearing the same cologne that I adored since it always made me feel at ease.

•••

"What was the whole 'tenth grade' situation about?" Curtis approached me with his helmet in one hand and a water bottle in the other.

We were excused from detention to get ready for the upcoming game versus Highland Academy's eagles.

The other girls stretched and practiced a few moves while I stretched alone. I still needed to go over the events and think about my next lie. Only Owen knew what happened in tenth grade and, it wasn't about a petty problem about Lucas Landon.

"Nothing you need to know, it doesn't involve you nor does it affect your life." I started walking away. My Nike shoes clung to a few pieces of wet grass from the downpour last night. The stands were wet from water, but that won't stop students from cheering.

"I'll be Paris. I'm sorry for the problem I caused." He didn't even await my response. Then he jogged off to his team.