60. Strong Moon pt. 3

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I don't believe Hidden Moon had any switchers. Who knows, you might see him again soon."

"That would be nice," I said, softly.

"See, it's not too late to make new friends," he teased, adding a playful wink.

"I did make friends," I countered.

"Lotta and Vince?" he asked.

"Yes," I affirmed. "And you."

"And me," he repeated, a soft, genuine smile toying with his lips.

Lips that were calling to mine, begging to reunite with every inch of me.

Lips that yearned to be touched, kissed and licked.

Lips that turned into a smirk, as soon their owner realized the effect they had on me.

"Bloody Wise Moon," I grumbled with flushed cheeks.

"Hey, I didn't do anything!" he protested as I sped up my pace, and he halted in his tracks.

"You know well enough," I countered.

He laughed in response, the warm kind of laughter that sent shivers across my spine. I heard him run a few steps until he was walking beside me again. Before I had even seen him move, he had planted a soft, quick kiss on my right cheek.

"They'll have their work with you in Apicya," he laughed. "We don't train physically for a few days, and look what's happened to your reflexes!"

"Oh, shut up," I grumbled, attempting to punch his arm, but unlike mine, his reflexes were still on point and he evaded my fist without much effort.

"Why don't you make me shut up?" he challenged, one of his brows raised with playfulness.

"You're going to trip if you keep walking backward," I said, ignoring his request.

"No, I won't." His intense stare stayed focused on me, as his wavy hair bounced with every step he took.

"We have to keep moving," I protested. "I'm sure you will find a way to shut yourself up."

"It's more fun if you do it," he pouted. But his grin didn't stay away for too long, hiding at the corners of his lips, however much he tried to keep it at bay.

"Jerr, seriously, you're going to fall if-"

"I won't fall," he repeated, but he turned back around, walking by my side again.

I rolled my eyes at him, the habit feeling comfortable.

My heart sped up at the closeness of him. Our arms nearly touched, and I could feel his warmth subtly creeping over me.

I had expected him to make some dumb joke, saying something like that he would only fall for me, but-

"Oh, don't worry, I won't fall for you," he interrupted. "But I am honored you would want me to."

"Oh, by the Moons," I grumbled, cursing myself for not keeping my thoughts in check. I didn't even need to look at him, I could practically hear his victorious grin echoing through my head.

"Looks like we'll need to play some more mind games," he suggested, still keeping his playful tone.

"Yes, please," I agreed.

And so, we spent the rest of the day playing his mind games, telling superficial lies, and even more superficial truths.

And by the time we had found a small shed to spend the night, it - once more - felt natural to me, to keep my thoughts in line, and to keep that bloody Wise Moon out of my head.