Chapter 5

Jude's POV

I'm woken up to my alarm. It's Monday morning and the start of the twins second week at school.

"Morning Grace" Hazel, their teacher greats her with a smile and she runs past into class.

I walk Libby over and she holds Hazels hand. I look at their teacher and raise my brows, shocked at how easy she let go of me today. "Hey I just want to say, I'm sorry about the other night"

"Oh no it's okay" she shuffles on her feet a bit but smiles.

"The whole night was actually just really inappropriate and I apologise"

"Oh um - like I said. It's okay" she nods, with less of a smiles this time.

"Okay. Well - I'll see you later baby" I turn my attention to my daughter, giving her a kiss and walking off. Although I can feel eyes burning into my back. I turn around and see Hazel quickly turn her head, was she watching me?, Libby waves to me so I wave back, continuing to walk.

—————————————

Hazels POV:

Well ouch, that kinda hurt a bit. The whole night was inappropriate? What does she mean by that?

Break time comes along and the class are running around outside. I try to encourage Libby to go and play with her sister and some other children but she's refusing and holding on to me tight.

"So, did you have a good weekend?" I ask, curious to find out what happen at her dads house.

"We saw grandma" she states

"Oh that's nice. Did you have fun?" I smile and jiggle her hand in mine.

"We just coloured. Then daddy saw us in the morning" she says quietly.

I walk her over to the sandpit and sit down, encouraging her to play. She grasps the sand in her hands, picking it up and letting it fall, over and over.

"I don't want to live with daddy" she says.

"What makes you say that?" I look at her

"He wants to take us" she looks down at her hands in the sand.

Grace comes running over and starts to build a sandcastle.

"My daddy says that mummy is mean" Libby continues.

"Daddy is mean" Grace adds "he says we won't see mummy soon and that's mean"

I don't say anything, I just watch the girls play together. These poor girls, so young and so much stress and weight on their shoulders. I need to do something.

——

The end of the day and I walk my class out in their line. Libby runs over to Jude and when I get to Grace in the line I tell her I want to speak to her mummy. She nods and runs off, telling her mum. The girls run off to play and Jude stands by the gate waiting for the last of my students to go.

"Hey. We can go sit over by the play equipment if you like?" I fold my arms over my chest.

"Sure" she nods.

"So, the girls today have been speaking about their dad. And I really think I need to contact someone. The impact this has on them is too much"

She doesn't say anything and continues to walk towards the bench.

"I don't mean to overstep. But I have to do something"

Jude nods and we sit on the bench.

"I um - I understand. I know you're right, it's just scary" she tucks a piece of her straight brunette hair behind her ear.

"I know. But you're a great mum. I will call social services. I'll tell them my concerns, and I'll also say that you're a brilliant mum. They will probably want to speak to the girls though"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't need to worry. It will actually be good. What happens is they will come into school, they play with the girls and make them as comfortable as they can and will ask questions, but in a sensitive way, I've seen it a few times. At the end of the day, children this young don't lie, so it will be a good thing to happen"

"Okay" she bites her lip

"I'll go call them now and I'll speak to you tomorrow after school"

——

It's now Tuesday and the day is over. I speak with Jude and let her know that I contacted them and that they will be in contact with her over the next week. They have already scheduled that they will be coming in on Friday to see the girls and myself, and an emergency order has been made to the court in which the children do not see their father until social services have done all of their assessments.

———————————

Jude's POV

"Happy Birthday girls" I whisper as I wake onto their room waking them ready for school. "Five today!"

Grace jumps out of bed excited and starts getting herself ready for school.

"Can I stay here today?" Libby asks.

"No baby. You've got to go to school. But you'll be with Miss Mackenzie. And we will do something special tonight after I pick you up" I kiss her cheek.

She nods and starts getting herself ready.

——

I'm standing my the gate waiting for the girls to come out of their glass. Of course, Libby is with Hazel and she's the first one out. She runs over cuddling me. Grace soon joins.

We're walking out when I hear someone shout behind me. I turn around and Hazel is running towards us.

"I got you girls a little present each" she smiles at them holding two gifts bags. "I hope that's okay?" She asks me.

"Of course but you didn't have too. Thank you" I smile as she passes them to the girls.

"It's no problem. Enjoy the rest of your birthday girls. See you tomorrow" she smiles at me and walks away.

————

The girls decided they didn't want to go out and do anything. As many things as I offered, they turned them all down. They want to make cupcakes and order pizza, which is what we did. We watched Wreck it Ralph whilst eating, it's one of their favourites, then had some cupcakes afterwards. We had a pillow fight and role played with some of their toys. Then they opened their presents. I got them a scooter each, pink for Libby, purple for Grace. And for Libby, I got her a couple of teddy bears, a few books, some new clothes, colouring books, bluey character toys, mermaid dolls which she has been going on and on about forever. For Grace, I got her a nail vanish kit, a microphone (as she loves to sing), colouring books, a little guitar. And then a bunch of little bits each. After they'd opened their presents they were exhausted and asked to sleep with me tonight, so we headed up to bed and all of us were asleep within minutes.