Chapter 1: My favorite hobby- Theft

Please cut us some slack with the beginning of this book. It was written a long, long time ago, and although we've edited it, it still gets WAY better at the end. Also, this is formatted for a phone screen, so if you're on a laptop or a tablet or something other than a phone, I apologize!

Without further audeu, happy reading!
~ L

---

Alex

I busy myself fiddling with my phone, trying my hardest not to look suspicious even though my phone’s been dead for years. I aimlessly walk around a couple racks, still acting like I’m playing a game or texting someone really important. I stare at the face that's reflected on the dark screen, chocolate eyes glare up at me. I don't recognize the petty thief I've become.

A loud sigh echoes from the front of the store.

“Are you gonna buy anything, or are you just going to stand there like a weirdo?” The lady at the register taps her foot impatiently and gives me an unpleasant look.

‘Is this really how you treat your customers?’ is what I want to say, but bickering probably isn't the best course of action here. Instead, I give her an apologetic look.

“ Oh, yeah, sorry, I’m just browsing. ”

I put on my best smile and move behind a rack of shirts so she can’t see me as well. I quickly thumb through the shirts, searching for one that isn’t too bright or has some ridiculous design on it. The last thing I need is someone spotting me on the street and deciding they want a pretty teen to get into their car.

I find a black t-shirt with a small flower on the pocket and slip it into my jacket. This will have to do. I make my way to the front, trying to draw as little attention to my departure as possible. The lady at the register scoffs as I walk by. I give her a wave and pray she doesn't decide to look too closely at me or the misshapen lump in my jacket. How I get away with things like this are beyond me.

I push the door open, and a little bell tinkles above my head. I force away the memories that flood into my head at the sound.

I blow out a frosty breath and stick my hands in my pockets as I begin to walk away from the store, keeping my gaze low to avoid accidentally making eye contact with someone. I can feel the weight of the shirt against me. It's warm, but not pleasantly so. I've stolen plenty of times before… but I can't help but think of how easy it’s become. I don't even have to worry about it anymore. If I get caught, I would just sweet talk my way out of it. I always do. No harm done, and no ones the wiser.

I keep walking towards the end of the street. The cold is biting into my skin at this point, and I can practically feel my hands freezing off.

Maybe I should steal a thicker jacket next time.

I slip the shirt out and take off my backpack, struggling to unzip it with my numb fingers. Leaves crunch under my shoes, and I'm suddenly a half inch closer to the ground than I was before. I look up, realizing I've reached the edge of the forest. Camping here is always better than on a random sidewalk.

I zip up my backpack, take a deep breath, and walk in. 

---

And we're off! I promise the story gets more interesting once all the characters are acquainted and such. Enjoy the next chapter, and remember to vote and comment. It makes all the difference!

~ L