45. love and career

Start from the beginning

"Wow! First time!" I said as I started to maneuver the car. "What happened today? You seem so energetic? It seems like the meetong went well." I asked as we left the parking lot.

"I'm planning to announce our wedding." She declared happily as if it was just a trivial matter.

"Okay. Let's plan your wedding announce... wait what?" I immediately stepped on the break. Luckily I was just about to turn and we are still not on the highway.

 Luckily I was just about to turn and we are still not on the highway

===

"...wait what?" Shocked was evident to Sage's face when he asked. Luckily, the two of them were wearing seatbelts or else their faces would surely hit the dashboard of the car due to Sage's sudden step on the break.

"I said, I'm planning to announce our wedding to the public." Alex restate her revelation calmly.

"That's what your meeting with CEO was all about? I thought you would redraft your contract or something? What changed your mind?" Sage asked one by one.

• Flashback •

After Alex received the message from her CEO she called Aira to consult her about the matter and asked if she could "safely" come to her apartment. Who knows what she might see there if she goes there unannounced. Luckily, Aira was alone in her apartment because just like Sage, Hans is also busy with their new step into the business.

Alex told the details about the message she received from her CEO. Then Aira gave her opinion about the matter.

After all has been set, Aira then told Alex that she would be accompanied by Mr. Jung, or Matt for short, most of the time during her upcoming events because starting next week they would start their wedding preppies. And she told her about Hans's plans after their wedding.

"Have you purposely trained Matt so that you can leave me after you become a married woman?" Alex said gloomily as she sat on the couch. She could not hide the sadness in her voice but she also understood why Aira had to do it.

"Silly girl. I'm just assigning Matt to you because I'll be very busy with my wedding preparations. Alex, I'm not going anywhere, I'm just getting married. Hans has been bugging me about the wedding. I just want to get it over with to shut him up." Aira uttered simply as she continued to munch her chips.

"But you'll have to prioritize your husband now because you are already a wife, soon a mom. You can't accompany me to my tours and events now that you're married, not to mention how clingy Hans is to you." Alex insisted with her clingy voice.

"Just because I am married doesn't mean I could no longer be your manager, my dear, okay? And besides Hans told me I can still do whatever I want. I'm just getting married, I'm not gonna be disabled. He even said if I wanted to travel to Mars after our marriage, I need to tell him in advance because he needs to make necessary preparations. And wait, wedding first. Being a mom? Not yet." Aira tried to make the conversation light by cracking a joke. Alex just smiled a little so she decided to continue.

"You know what, Alex... as much as I am not that affectionate with Hans, I'm lucky to have him. The two of us are lucky to have partners like them." Aira paused for a while as she looked at her chips. "Why? Because we don't have to choose between love and career. Our other halves would genuinely support us in whatever choices we make."

"Hans respected my decision not to get married immediately even if I know how envious he was when you and Sage had your marriage registered. He would just mention it from time to time, asking me if I'm ready or still not yet. So when you said, you planned to take a break, I thought that maybe it was time to finally give in." Aira narrated.

"We are not getting younger anyways and as much as he could wait longer as he said, I don't want him to wait any longer. And his Mom is asking for a grandchild already. She said, she wouldn't take a daughter-in-law unless it's me. So Hans would receive an earful all the time since she thought it was Hans' fault why we are not yet getting married."

"I may no longer accompany you every day, on all of your concert tours just like before but I will still be your manager. No one else could tame your impulsiveness other than me, so I don't want to burden other people. My civil status is the only thing that will change, nothing else." Aira remarked as she tried to pacify her best friend.

She knows how much pressure she's feeling right now just because she has to be always on her toes to make sure that the public does not find out about her current civil status before they are ready to reveal it themselves.

This is the least she could do for her. Lucky for her and Hans they are just ordinary civilians, unlike them who are celebrities that they have to be always mindful of their public image. And they are bound to a lot of restrictions unless they are ready to lose what they have now.

Fame is a double-edged sword that also comes with a huge price to pay.

• End of Flashback •