14 | a bit too much of everything

Start from the beginning

Why did I feel like Cameron Wright was ivy growing around my heart?

I took a cold shower to come to my freaking senses, put on my jean shorts and a baby blue crop top with straps, did a bit of makeup, and freshened my nail polish to match my top.

Out of the bathroom, Cam was still lying on the bed, scrolling on his phone with an arm underneath his head. He darted a glance at me, then switched back to his phone with a soft grin. "You look cute."

Did he just compliment me? I turned to look at myself in the mirror to see if there was something weird or wrong with my look, but I looked fine. I glanced back at him suspiciously and found him watching me with a laugh.

Then, Cam swiftly got up from the bed and walked up to me. I shoved my hands into my pockets when he stood so close to me with a mischievous grin. "From now on, I'm changing my method."

"What method?"

"Kill you with kindness," he said with a wink and sauntered to the bathroom door. "I'll be ready in ten," he added, standing by the door.

"Ready for what?"

"To take your pictures, of course."

"I don't remember agreeing to be your model."

"You didn't disagree with it, either."

"I do," I said, rushing to wear my flip-flops. "I don't have time."

"Right, your hands are full with my website," Cam replied, still watching me in amusement while I probably looked like a freak trying to walk out of this room before I agreed to be his model.

"Don't make me regret it, Cammybear." I pulled the door open with one last look.

"I'll be a good boy for you."

Please don't. I shut the door and sprinted down the stairs as if he would emerge from the door any minute to drag me to his photo-shooting session.

What I didn't expect was to find Riley, Tuesday, Lilith, and Olivia in the tavern, seemingly preparing for some event. Olivia and Riley were talking by the bar, pointing at several points of the place like they were planning the changes, while Tuesday and Lilith were placing colorful cupcakes on cake salvers.

Tuesday was the first to notice me across the room. "Bestie."

Everyone's look was turned on me as I walked into the hall. "Hey. Are we having a party?"

"It's Uncle Joe's birthday, so we are organizing a surprise party for him," Tuesday explained enthusiastically. "Olivia and Riley are handling the decorations, and we are bringing the birthday cake and side dishes."

"Sounds awesome. Anything I can help with?" I asked. I was initially planning to write some code, but I forgot my laptop upstairs because of the prank Cam pulled on me, so I didn't have anything better to do. Plus, I loved Uncle Joe and wanted to participate in his birthday party.

"Can you help me with hanging the decorations?" Olivia said with a smile. "Since you're the tallest among us, we should put your height to use."

I knew I shouldn't have anything against her, but it was so hard to look into her eyes after yesterday. Tuesday worked me up against her, putting it like I was losing a battle against Olivia. Maybe this was an excellent chance for me to get rid of my prejudice and extend an olive branch.

"Sure," I replied. "Where should we begin?"

I hung wall decorations written Happy Birthday with tape on a wooden chair all around the place, and Olivia was there to help me give the decorations and the tape. We didn't converse in the meantime, but I appreciated her silence more than a small chitchat.