3 | come on, be a hero

I WOKE UP WITH CAMERON'S HESITANT TOUCH ON MY SHOULDER

I must've dozed off at some point. I rubbed my eyes, straightened my back, and looked at Cameron with a shade of embarrassment. Then, I checked outside to see us parked in front of a diner.

"Why did we stop here?" I pulled my phone out of my bag to check the time. It'd only been twenty minutes, and he stopped for a break. "I don't need a break."

Cameron scoffed, unbuckling his belt. "Well, I do." He gave me the side-eye. "I skipped lunch, so I'm hungry."

I huffed a laugh. "I can't go out there like this." His eyes moved up and down on me in the meantime. "I look like a runaway bride."

"Amber, you are a runaway bride." He rolled his eyes. I opened my mouth in protest, but he let out a sigh in disappointment. "You know what? Suit yourself." Then, he left the car without another word, leaving me alone.

I watched him enter the diner, his hands in his pockets. Jesus Christ, Cameron. He'd always been impossible to communicate with—for me. Everyone else liked him, but we started on the wrong foot and did nothing to fix it.

Everything was a matter of challenge between us. I always felt the need to be better than Cameron at everything: the better kid, student, and person. It was a nonverbal thing that lasted until we both went our ways to different colleges in different states.

After high school, I didn't talk to or ask anyone about him again. And we didn't cross paths until now since I never returned to my hometown.

I ran a hand through my sweaty neck and let out a sigh. Now that Cameron was gone, the AC was off, and I was about to evaporate in this hot space. In a sick thought, it made sense to disappear right up to the sky, rain on Marcus like acid, and burn him down.

I shifted in my seat, feeling heavy in this uncomfortable dress. I wish I could rip it off right here. I opened my door, hoping that some fresh air would make me feel better.