9 | alternative universe

I OPENED MY EYES TO AN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE

In the armchair, with a terribly stiff back, and alone in the room.  This was a well-thought plan of Cam, giving me my own poison. So, I was sure he didn't have a nightmare last night.

I pushed the blanket off and forced myself up. A painful groan left my lips involuntarily, and I stared at the beautiful bed for a moment. You're mine tonight and every night from now on. No source of power in this world could stop me from sleeping in my bed tonight.

Instead of wallowing in my misery, I decided to change into my swimwear and head to swim. I turned my phone on, skimmed through new messages, emails, and notifications then turned it off again. I grabbed my laptop instead. I could work at Tuesday's coffee shop post-swim.

Today was warmer than yesterday. I walked to the same spot on the beach but didn't expect to find Cam sitting on the sand and taking photos of the ocean. I already had to see him all night, why couldn't he just hang around in the town and leave the beach to me? I still found myself walking toward him instead of picking another spot.

"Morning," I said as I lay my towel near him. I knew my presence would drive him crazy, too. "Did you have a nice sleep?" I asked, setting my bag on the sand and pulling out my stuff.

"The best," he answered, totally focused on taking pictures. The camera covered almost all of his face, yet I could make out his smug grin under it, enjoying my suffering. He was wearing his swim shorts and an unbuttoned blue shirt.

I suddenly remembered how he left me on a cliffhanger last night, and that was my cue to stop checking him out and get back to business.

"Good," I said curtly. "It's your last."

That earned a puffy laugh from him. "I don't let go of things I love, Amberoni."

"Me neither."

"Doesn't look like it to me." Cam glanced at me after he lowered the camera and swiped through the photos he'd taken.