He guided me through breathing exercises, and I could talk again, eventually.

"You want to talk about it?" He rubbed my back. "Parents," I mumbled. Jay nodded. "You're okay." I placed my face to the side so I could get some air on my hot face.

"Have I given them enough?" I whispered. JJ sighed. "You've given more than enough to those assholes. They push you way beyond your limits. You're pretty good at doing what they want, but there are some things you can't do, y/n."

We stayed like that for a while until I was super calm. JJ petted my hair. "You're going to be okay."

Always the fool with the slowest heart
But I know you'll take me with you
We'll live in spaces between walls

My parents don't know I'm dating JJ, they'd probably die from a Heart Attack if I told them. They made me seek validation from anyone, and Jay has been the only one who hasn't taken advantage of that.

Sure, he can be ignorant sometimes, but he makes me feel whole. I know he'd rather us be alone together than separate from all our friends. And so would I. It didn't matter if we live in an abandoned shack, his parent's house, or a mansion by the ocean. I'd love him no matter what. No matter what my parents say.

Every city's got a graveyard
The service bought and paid for
Now I'm sleeping in the backyard
Passing out as light turns into day

I returned to my house when it was around midnight. I tried to get into the house, but my window was shut, and the door was locked.

"Shit," I whispered.

I walked to the backyard and lay on the bench we have. It was uncomfortable, but that wasn't what was keeping me awake. I couldn't turn my brain off. I finally felt tired, but the sun was rising, lovely.

I got up and walked back to the chateau, defeated. The door, unlocked, made a small squeaky sound as I entered. I opened the guest door and saw JJ still peacefully sleeping. I slid off my Birkenstocks and climbed in with him.

"Goodmorning, princess." He whispered and fell back to sleep. I sighed, content with JJ, and fell asleep too.

I woke up and checked my phone. 5 missed calls from Mom. 3 missed calls from Dad. 20 messages from Mom. 15 from Dad.

Shit. I'm dead. I'll be grounded for the rest of my life.

Haven't I given enough, given enough?

"Jay, can we go have a date day? Just us?" I asked at breakfast. "Of course, princess. Any reason?" He asked. I shook my head. "No. We just haven't had one in a while." He smiled.

~

We walked along the beach after a whole day of activities. Restaurants, surfing, shopping, walking around, dancing, everything but parents and school and work. Life.

I stopped and looked down at the water. "JJ, you know I'll love you forever, right?" I look up. He looks confused but nodded his head.

"So please don't be mad at me. I want to take a break. My parents are getting pushier on me getting different friends. We're moving to where they grew up in Indiana. I don't want you to worry about me changing. I'll never forget you." JJ has a sorrowful stare. But he grabs my hands softly.