CHAPTER 24

"How's your day?" bungad sa akin ni Lara nang makasakay ako sa sasakyan.

It's been two days since 'that' happened, and I'm trying so hard not to think about it. Afterall, I'm convincing myself na that would be the very last time we'll meet.

Ayaw ko rin tanungin si Lara about the possibility na magkaroon sila ng contact ni Hilton. It's quite impossible na lapitan siya ni Hilton just to ask about me.

Am I really the only one who's feeling this way?

"Hmm, quite busy for the upcoming midterms," sagot ko.

"Oh right! I hope na okay yung mga pinaglalagay ko sa paper ninyo ni Oliver."

Seriously? She's worried about that even though it's not her project at all. Lara's such a good girl. Ako lang ata 'tong iresponsable sa pamilya. I can't help but feel guiltier.

"Yeah, Oli doesn't have any complains so I think it's good. Thank you, Lara for helping."

"Ano ka ba! You also help me in school paper journalism kahit na wala ka namang interest doon. So it's alright."

"Hmm."

Pareho na kaming natahimik all throughout our ride pauwi sa bahay. I think Lara's just being considerate about what happened.

She didn't ask about it that night but I know that she knows something happened. She's not pressuring me to talk about it. Even though, it's like that, it feels like she's reassuring me it's okay through her actions.

I'm thankful for that. She really knows me.

At alam kong Lara has her own issues din. Her stays in Treston doesn't mean it's nothing for her. There were times that she enjoyed some of her days there while feeling anxious of getting caught. I smile at the thought.

Now that I think about it, I didn't even ask her. I'm such a–

"Fara."

I stopped my train of thoughts when I heard her call me. Paakyat na kami sa kwarto nang lingunin ko siya. "Yeah?"

She opened her mouth then closed it again. It feels like she's wanting to say something but hesitating to do so.

Does it have something to do with me? If so...

"Lara, it's okay. P'wede mong sabihin sa akin lahat ng gusto mong sabihin. Welcome kang gawin iyon."

"Uhm...Fara, it's just that...maybe, we could try again for one last time?"

Natigilan ako sa sinabi ni Lara. She looked at me seriously. She seemed to be determined to help me out. I'm glad Lara is thinking about me.

Her offer is very much enticing. Kung ako lang naman, gusto ko ring bumalik sa Enderun. Gusto kong makausap si Hilton for the last time. Who knows, maybe I could get  to talk to him, and have some closure about what really is our relationship, of what is our plan for the both of us.

Kasi sa totoo lang, mahirap namang mag-aassume kung ano ang nasa isip niya, at kung ano ang gusto niyang gawin. If he says he doesn't want me in his life, then so be it. I just need to hear him out.

But...

Ayaw kong maging selfish. Lara has her own life, and I don't want to spoil it just because she was influenced in making that decision. I know she was being considerate, but that's already enough for me.

I smiled at her. "Lara, we don't have to. I know that my stay there was very short and you might be thinking that I was disappointed because we needed to stop. And that I'm sad because things escalated like this and that, but, you've done enough for me."

"Fara, I–"

"I'm glad that you're with me. But you don't have to worry. Let me handle this. Besides, masaya akong kahit papaano, I get to experience it. It's just that, everything has its own limitations...and I think, we'd reached our limit."

Bumuntong hininga siya at tumango. "Just lend me know if you need a hand," she said reassuringly.

Humakbang ako pababa para makapunta sa pwesto niya at niyakap siya. What did I do in my past life to deserve someone like Lara? I'm happy to have her as my sibling, and my best friend.

I'll make sure Lara will have a smooth life. Dadaan muna sakin ang mga magbabalak manligaw sa kanya. She deserves all the good things in the world!

"Lara, if there comes a time na may nagustuhan kang guy, sabihin mo sa akin kung sino para makilatis ko."

She chuckled while patting my back. "You? Can you really discern a man?"

There's a hint of doubt there but I'm confident I can sense a flirt if I saw one. "I'm serious, though. Just tell me!"

"Hahaha, alright alright," sabi niya at kumalas na sa pagkakayakap.

"I just don't want you to end up with a man who don't deserve you," I uttered.

"I also want the same for you, Fara. Please don't burden yourself too much. You know, it sounds cliché but things happen for a reason."

Tumango ako sa kanya. Yayakapin ko pa sana siya ulit when someone suddenly spoke. "What are you two doing?"

Sabay kaming napalingon ni Lara and there we saw Mom with her forehead creased while looking at us as if we're weird people.

"Err–Talking?" Sagot ko.

"Talking? In the middle of the staircase?" Mom asked and that's when we realized where we are.

Both of us just giggled and come down from the stairs to greet our Mom.

Well, I also miss these kinds of things.

Maybe today isn't that bad as I thought.