𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

"Wow, you're up early," Ji-Yeong remarked as she stepped into the cafeteria for breakfast. Her makeup was cutesy — a pinkish smokey-eye and a heart-shaped highlight on the tip of her nose matched the pink barrette clips holding her bangs back. She wore a pink sweater vest, one that matched the baby pink lip gloss that shimmered in the sunlight.

Temperance sat alone at the table closest to the coffee machine. A coffee mug sat in her hand, warming her up as she jotted down some notes for Geometry. Half of a grapefruit sat in a paper bowl with a fork dug in it.

She would have to eventually stop by the Student Resources building to get herself a backpack to carry all her items. Papers were mounting, and it was getting more difficult to remember what classes needed what book or notebook. Art was easy. All she needed was a smock and her easel.

She wore her last clean uniform — the blue one — and intended on doing laundry when she got out of class today. Before she crawled out of bed, she gathered her used clothes and put them in a pile on her bed. If it sat there, she would be forced to do something about it.

She was surprised that her notes were much more legible than they had ever been before, her body well-rested and rejuvenated. Mircea had been right; water really did help. Even if he assumed that her headache and overall fatigue were the results of upset sinuses, it really helped her with her clarity. Everything seemed clearer — the way the dawn's silver rays filtered through the cafeteria windows revealed the small dust specs lazily floating about; the sound of chatter and shoes echoing in the halls; the sound of the doves in the trees in the courtyard as they chirped their lovesongs. Perhaps it was just another symptom, but she would not take it for granted.

Even so, she remained on edge. If she were to have a hallucination around other people, it could be detrimental. She glanced up fleetingly at the young woman who joined her in the empty cafeteria and welcomed her with a tight smile.

"Went to bed early, and thought I could wake up to work on these notes for Geometry," Temperance explained, looking back to the paper with furrowed brows. "I wish I understood whatever the hell is on the page, though."

Ji-Yeong snorted, getting herself a tea bag and filling her cup with hot water from the electric kettle beside the coffee maker. She leaned against the edge of the table by Temperance. "Kanani's the genius. Maybe after class, we can work on it together? The three of us?"

Temperance hesitated at the hopeful gleam in Ji-Yeong's eyes. She was dying; why was she still accepting these people into her inner circle? First JJ, now Ji-Yeong. she needed to work on her self-preservation skills, but...

"S-Sure sounds good," she replied. "Oh, but I'm joining someone from my art class for movie night in the theatre room tonight, so I'm free after."

Ji-Yeong smiled, "Sweet! We can walk back to my dorm when it's done! Kanani hates movie night, but I love it."

Temperance slurped her coffee. "Any idea what's playing tonight?"

"No, not really. They gave away some hints at the last movie night, but I couldn't guess it. Whoever is able to write the right answer and put it in the guessing box before the next movie wins a little prize. It's fun, but that's why Kanani doesn't like it — she gets too competitive."

Temperance could not stop the chuckle that escaped her lips. "Sounds fun."

Ji-Yeong was a kind girl — someone Constance would get along well with. A pang of guilt hit her at the thought of her sister. She had not kept her promise to talk later. But Constance seemed to get the hint, as no new messages had come in the past few days. It ate at her, twisting her gut painfully. Constance deserved better.

Guilty, she took her phone off the table and sent a quick text to her sister:

Sorry for the radio silence. Been busy. I love you, Connie.

Tears pricked the corners of her eyes as she pressed send, but she masked it well with another sip of her coffee and a bite of her inner lip.

"You said your major is art, right?" Ji-Yeong asked, turning and smiling at the other girls who walked in, waving at the two.

Temperance nodded as she took a forkful of grapefruit in her mouth. "Yup. What about you?"

"Fashion!" she squealed, her exuberance contagious as Temperance found herself grinning. "And I'm so excited because we'll be doing a fashion show by the end of the semester in Bucharest. Has anyone talked to you about the Halloween party in October?"

She shook her head. "Not that I remember."

Ji-Yeong clapped her hands together. "So, every year, we have a Halloween party, and the students of each major join together to have a little show. Theatre puts on a play, art does a gallery, and fashion does a quick showing of our fashion for the Bucharest runway! You invite friends and family, and it's so much fun!"

Temperance winced at the thought of Constance's excited face, scraping together enough money to fly to see her sister's art. She ignored that imagery. "Ah, how neat. Are your parents coming?"

A sudden dullness shrouded Ji-Yeong's eyes. Her smile grew from eager to sheepish as she cupped the back of her neck with her palm. "O-Oh, my parents? Probably not. They, ah. They don't like what I'm doing."

Temperance's eyebrows creased together in concern. "Why?"

"Well, they had hopes that I would either become a doctor or marry one. They tried to set me up a few times with different med school students, but I kept refusing. I got in on a scholarship, and I've done a good job at keeping it. They just won't come to see my work. And it's not that they don't have the means or money to do it. They just... don't want to?" Her face fell momentarily before turning soft and gentle. "But, I have Kanani. She comes to all of my shows, come rain or snow or sunshine. She's my biggest supporter... even models for me sometimes when I ask really nicely."

"Kanani sounds like... like a good friend. She's lucky to have you. And it sounds like you put in a lot of work," Temperance said.

"No, I'm lucky to have her. I mean—" she grasped the backpack on her shoulder and dug her phone out, quickly unlocking it and shoving the screen in front of Temperance's face "—I've worked very hard to get where I am. There is a lot of competition in fashion."

Temperance took the phone and began searching through the photos allotted. Silks and sashes and cotton and tulle — everything whirled together in ethereal designs. They looked like something straight out of a fantasy book, fit for a queen. Then, there were gentler designs like cable-knit sweaters, cute skirts with functional pockets, and sundresses that had straps like overalls over the shoulders. She could easily see Constance in one of these milder outfits.

Before she could reply, the overhead bell had rung, and the cafeteria was clearing out. Temperance stood, handing Ji-Yeong her phone once more. "You do some solid work."

Ji-Yeong beamed, the dullness evaporating for a sunny gleam. "I'm looking forward to seeing your art sometime, Tempe."

Her heart clenched, hearing the nickname her sister had alw
ays called her. It was sweet coming from Ji-Yeong, but it was also wildly terrifying. It indicated closeness. A closeness that was fated to end in sadness and bloodshed. Suppressing her thoughts that darkened the skies of her mind, she waved to the joyful girl and headed off to her first class.