1

MIRAMAR, CALIF. FIGHTERTOWN U.S.A

"I can't believe we're back on US soil!" Avery Ryder says excitedly as she drives down the road leading to their new training facility. "And we're going to Top Gun!"
"I know!" Brett Laredo says in agreement as he places his elbow on the window seal, soaking in the beach air. "It's been a very long 5 months."
"I can't wait to see my mini me!" Avery says with a smile which causes Brett to roll his eyes as Avery talks about his daughter, Hayley. "And my wifey!"
"That's my wife, you're talking about," Brett says as he pokes Avery in the ribs, causing her to laugh. Avery and Brett are Naval Aviators and have been working together for years. They have been friends for even longer, since they graduated high school together. Brett is the brother that Avery never had. "Ave, look!" Avery looks over to see a jet taking off beside them as she drives beside the airfield.
"Whooo!" Avery cheers as she throws her hands into the air, causing Brett to laugh. "Take the wheel!" Brett slides into the drivers seat while Avery stands up before moving to the passenger seat. Avery takes in a deep breath while her hair whips around her face. Other than when she is in the air, this is the most free she has ever felt. Avery cheers again as a man on the motorcycle zooms past them while trying to race the jet, causing Avery to let out a laugh before sitting down. Brett parks beside the motorcycle once they reach the facility before he and Avery head inside to get changed since they had worn their civilian clothes.

"During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12-to-1," Rick "Jester" Heatherly explains as he turns to face the Top Gun class, after playing a video on the big screen

"During Korea, the Navy kill ratio was 12-to-1," Rick "Jester" Heatherly explains as he turns to face the Top Gun class, after playing a video on the big screen. "We shot down 12 of their jets for every one of ours. During Vietnam, the ratio fell to 3-to-1." Tom "Iceman" Kazansky twirls a pen in his fingers while another man smokes a cigarette. "Our pilots became dependent upon missiles. They had lost some of their dogfighting skills." Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and Nick "Goose" Bradshaw both chew gum as they sit in the front row while Brett "Phantom" Laredo leans his head on his pilot's shoulder in an attempt to be able to sleep. "Now Top Gun was created to teach A.C.M. Air Combat Maneuvering. Dogfighting."

"This gives me a hard-on," Henry "Wolfman" Ruth whispers as he leans over to Rick "Hollywood" Neven, who smirks as he leans over to Wolfman.
"Don't tease me," Hollywood says which causes Wolfman to quietly chuckle, causing Avery "Ghost" Ryder to wrinkle her nose in disgust.

"By the end of Vietnam, that ratio was back up to 12-to-1," Jester continues to explain as he paces in front of the class before he stops. "Blinds, please." The window blinds are opened to allow light into the room as Ghost nudges Phantom, so that he will sit up. "Now, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to our commanding officer at Top Gun. The very first man to win the Top Gun trophy. You will not find a finer fighter pilot anywhere in the world. Commander Mike Metcalf. Callsign, Viper."

"Gentleman," Viper says as he walks to the front where Jester is, causing Ghost to sigh since she was never acknowledged like the men are. "You are the top one percent of all naval aviators." Viper turns to face the pilots as his eyes slightly widen in shock as he sees Ghost but knew that she must be good or she wouldn't be there. "The elite. The best of the best. We'll make you better." Iceman starts twirling his pen again while staring at Maverick. "You'll fly at least two combat missions a day, attend classes in between, and evaluations of your performance. Now, on each combat sequence, you're gonna meet a different challenge." The pen hits up against Iceman's ring, causing Maverick to look back at him while Ghost looks back at him at the same time with a glare before Iceman lightly smirks as he purposely hits the pen on his ring. Ghost turns back around which causes her to make eye contact with Maverick, who winks at her which causes Ghost to roll her eyes despite feeling her cheeks heat up. "Every encounter is gonna be much more difficult. We're gonna teach you to fly the F-14 right to the edge of the envelope, faster than you've ever flown before and more dangerous." Ghost and Phantom share an excited smile at the news while Viper starts making his way to the back of the room. "Now, we don't make policy here, gentlemen. Elected officials, civilians do that." Iceman smirks at Maverick, who had looked back to see where Viper was going, with the hope of catching another glimpse at Ghost. Maverick faces back to the front before looking back at Viper over his other shoulder. "We are instruments of that policy. And although we're not at war, we must always act as though we are at war. The tip of the spear..." Viper continues his explanation. "Best be sharp."

"What are you doing?" Goose asks as he leans over to Maverick, who was looking around at everyone.
"I'm just wondering who's the best," Maverick answers Goose with a sly smirk.

"In case some of you wonder who the best is," Viper says as he stares at a plaque on the wall. "They're up here on this plaque on the wall. The best driver and his RIO from each class has his name on it." Viper starts walking back up to the front of the class. "And they have the option to come back here to be Top Gun instructors." Viper quickly turns to face Ghost, in an attempt to catch her off guard. "You think your name's gonna be on that plaque?"
"Without a doubt, sir," Ghost answers him with a slight smirk, causing Iceman and his RIO, Ron "Slider" Kerner, to quietly laugh.
"That's pretty arrogant considering the company you're in," Viper says as he looks around at the class full of men which causes Ghost to have to keep from rolling her eyes.
"Yes, sir," Ghost says with a nod which causes Viper to nod, impressed.
"I like that in a pilot," Viper says with a slight smile before slightly pacing in front of the class. "Just remember, when it's over out there, we're all on the same team. Gentlemen, this school is about combat. There are no points for second place. Dismissed."

"Nice going," Phantom tells Ghost as he stands up, knowing that Ghost just put an even bigger target on their backs. The first one being the fact that Ghost is a woman which causes every man to underestimate her before being pissed off by her actually being better than them.

"The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies' room," Iceman taunts as Maverick and Goose walk past him, causing Goose to grab onto Maverick's shoulders as he lets out a loud, sarcastic laugh. Ghost smiles as she leans against Phantom, while watching Maverick smile.
"Oh, Jesus. Oh, you kill me. You really don't," Goose says sarcastically as Iceman stands up before standing beside Ghost, causing Brett to put a protective arm around her shoulders which does not go unnoticed by Maverick. Goose walks over to the plaque before pointing at a name plate. "No, no, no, no. There's two O's in Goose, boys."