xv. questions answered

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

── questions answered

          𝔗he state of shock that I had been in since Cato had kissed me had not left, not even when he had lead me further into the woods, given me food and set up a sort of camp for us. When he'd eaten, Cato had sat opposite me, watching me with wide eyes as I still tried to process it all.

"Mitzi, you have to eat. Get your strength back." Cato urged gently, still watching me. "Say something, please."

"What do you want me to say?"

"I don't know, anything."

"Is this part of your master plan to get out of the games?" I looked up at him, my eyes narrowing. I knew Cato, knew how clever he was and how this was something that he was capable of. He was most likely luring me into a false sense of security and then he was going to kill me.

"If I wanted you dead, I would have killed you at the bloodbath." Cato motioned to the spear.

"You don't miss." I confirmed.

"I wasn't aiming for you." He shook his head. "You said your weapon was a spear and I couldn't let you die. I couldn't let you not have a chance."

"What would I do with it? I don't wish to kill and I can barely fight." I huffed, rubbing the bridge of my nose as I continued to try and calm my brain. It was taking me a while to process everything, process that the tall man ahead of me had kissed me and saved my life in the space of about five minutes. "I still don't understand why you saved me."

"What don't you understand? I thought I made it clear."

"Kissing me explains little about saving my life in an arena where you're supposed to kill all those around you." I shook my head at him, pulling my jacket closer. "I know you're not stupid Cato, but I can not see why you would do such a thing?"

"Does it have to be because I am clever? Because of the games? Can it not simply be because I care for you?" Cato's voice became hushed, as he seemed to make himself into a tighter ball, his knees drawing up to his chest as he watched me. 

"You are too clever to care for someone in the arena."

"Maybe I am not." Cato mumbled, "and it was before the arena."

"What?"

"I cared for you before the arena." Cato watched me, as my shoulders slumped at the admission. "On the rooftop, just before we went, I was going to tell you but I thought better of it. So I gave you the spear."

"Cato..."

"Tell me you do not care and I will go." Cato replied. "Tell me that and I will leave, you will not see me again for the rest of the games."