viii. interviews

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

── interviews

          𝕿he next morning, I am considerably calmer than the day before. My annoyance with Cato has simmered into nothingness as I sit opposite Geare and tell him the latest developments and what I've learnt of District Twelve. He hummed, chewing on a slice of toast before nodding carefully.

"This changes nothing, Mitzi." He shot me a look. "We go on like normal. Today is all about interview prep. I'll walk you through what I want you to say, what you should do and all of that. Then, Aurelia and Varya have offered to help you with walking in heels and what you should look like."

"That's nice of them." I didn't want to do that.

"Which one do you want to start with?" Geare watched me carefully, before I grimace. It was probably best to get the worst over and done with.

"Aurelia and Varya?" He nods and before I know it, I'm swept away by the two women. They find me a floor length gown, that's absolutely stunning, and a pair of heels. I have come to learn that heels are the bane of my existence, for it is essentially wobbling around on your tip toes and hoping that you won't fall over.

I suppose there are worse ways to spend four hours, like trying not to be killed in an arena, but the hours of smiling, posture, how to walk, how to talk, hand gestures, eye contact and all the other things that I would have been taught if I grew up close to the Capitol is near torture.

"The most important thing to think is that you want them to like you." Aurelia explained. Both her and Varya had worked out that shouting at me got them no where, for I just tuned it out. "Treat them in a familiar way, but not too familiar mind you. Keep them guessing about what you're really like, as if you're trying to fish."

"Okay." I nodded my head, sending her a polite smile as she beamed.

"Just like that." Clapping her hands, she turned to Varya. "They grow up so fast."

"She's doing well." Varya nodded, before they hurried off, talking in hushed tones about my dress for tomorrow night. I was intrigued already.

Quickly, I hurry for lunch, scoffing down my food as Thresh and I talk in hushed tones about the technique he's going to use for the interview. It's interesting. I, in turn, tell him about what is going to happen with Aurelia and his stylist, Meral. He doesn't seem all that intrigued.

Finally, Geare comes to collect me. He takes me to the living room of the floor, and directs me to sit. I do as Aurelia taught me, crossing my feet at the ankles and smiling demurely at him as he nods.

"Well, we know what we're going to do with you." Geare grins, sitting opposite me as if he was Caeser Flickerman. "You're going to be sweet, be kind, be warm. That's how we're going to portray you. You're backstory already helps; you volunteered to save someone that you helped to raise, you have a high enough training score to be worthy and you were beautiful in the tribute parade."