"Why did you do it?" His voice was soft, but a clear frown formed on his features.

The Countess tilted her head slightly in confusion while she deciphered his words. A smile twitched on the corners of her lips seconds later.

"Ah so you have spoken to her. Tell me what lies has she corrupted you with?" The Countess's smile was still present but it had a sinister underlying.

"No lies. Only truth." Walter's frown deepened.

"You believe her over your own mother?" The Countess's smile momentarily dropped, "I'm disappointed in you Walter."

"Cut the small talk. Why did you do it?" Walter's tone was stronger now, something that dissatisfied the Countess.

"Do what?" She directed her strong gaze deep into his eyes. A tactic to intimidate him and force him to submit to her.

Walter was not falling for her and met her head on, "You know exactly what you have done."

"I do not. Enlighten me boy." The Countess subconsciously looked away.

"Do not play the fool. It does not suit you." Walter rolled his eyes, "I know everything."

"And she was the one who informed you? Of course..." The Countess laughed.

"No." Walter's voice held no hesitation, "I found out most of it through other means."

The Countess seemed surprised at his response but she was quick to hide it.

"What did you discover?" The Countess was getting nervous but she hid it well and continued her tough act.

"Years of neglect and punishment," He began, "Accounts of physical abuse and" He paused looking at her, "Attempted murder."

The Countess felt uncomfortable. She did not like being confronted like this by her own son, the young man she had so lovingly raised.

"So, I ask you again, why did you do it?"

"You have no evidence." The Countess was quick to defend.

"There is plenty of evidence. They are gathering the witnesses as we speak."

"I warn you Walter, it is not worth it to go against me. I will not back down even if you are my own flesh and blood." The Countess threatened, her tone suddenly cold.

"I wish it did not come to this." Walter frowned, "I can no longer stand at your side mother."

The Countess's eyes widened not liking where this was going, "Wait-"

"I no longer see you as my mother nor shall I continue to call myself your son."

"You cannot do that." The Countess's voice suddenly became desperate as her cold character suddenly broke.

"I'm afraid I just did." Walter turned on his heels and began to walk away ignoring his mother's desperate cries, "I bid you a farewell Countess."

Walter's words had stung deep. Her own child had rejected her as his mother. Her own pride and joy. She loved him so much and now he was walking away from her like she was a stranger.

It hurt.

It hurt so much. Her relationship that she treasured so much was gone. She wanted to fix it, she wanted to run up to him and stop him, but she was trapped behind bars.

Suddenly the Countess felt very weak and small. Tears began to prick the corners of her eyes for the first time in years as she let his words sink in.

Her precious son had disowned her...

She did not know what to do. She knew that she would completely break if her other two would follow him.

Had she not been a good mother?

Had she not been with him for his happiest and saddest moments?

Had she not remembered all his important days and never failed to celebrate them with him?

Had she not comforted him when he was down or made sure he was taken care of?

Had she not kept record of all his achievements and bragged about him to her fellow ladies?

Had she not spent hours worrying about him when he went on missions and cried with joy each and every time when he returned alive?

Why did he leave?

Erica.

It was all that horrid girl's fault. She only ever wanted to ruin the Countess's happiness. She was the devil's reincarnate who was determined to take everything from the Countess even the people she loved and cared for.

The Countess's mind was momentarily pulled away when her heart suddenly jolted in hope as she saw Walter pause in his footsteps as he turned back to face her. It sunk again as she was met with his cold expression.

"One last thing Countess," Her heart shattered at the sound of her title falling from his lips, "We know it was you who poisoned King Aleric."