Poison - Cavetown

"Have you heard about the new hydrogen cars?" Wyyen spins her straw around her fingers while we sit, waiting for our milkshakes. I shake my head.

"I don't think so, but I've probably seen one before. Why?"

"Oh, you should check them out. They're pretty cool if you ask me. I have this one friend that got super obsessed with them, and then one day he was like, at my house. And then he's just like; Wyyen, what's hydrogen made out of?" 

She squints her eyes and starts laughing. I'm half a science nerd myself, so I get the joke.

"Who is this?"

"His name's Joey, he's like, my other best friend... No offence." She bends the straw and ties it in a knot. "The one in the picture." She taps her phone with the bent straw.

"Oh, you like him?"

"That's not what I said. I said he was my friend." Wyyen starts blushing violently.

Oh my gosh. So they both have a crush on each other in real life too? Can it get worse?

It has been about three days since I told Frankie and Mendez about what I found out. They're close enough that he was at her house, just casually? 

I've learned that they're a lot closer than I thought. They both like each other, but it's like, their secret obsession or something, also, they both call each other their best friend in real life. And I just happen to be the guy that's both of their best friends; not in real life. 

Am I not real enough for them?

I've talked to Joey twice, now, seeing him in hallways and stuff. I did find out something that makes it worse. They live next door to each other, and they just can't take a hint. They don't even have a clue. 

They live next door to each other. Like, her door; BOOM, HIS DOOR! 

I don't even get it. If they're such great friends, wouldn't they tell each other the truth? Heck, if they're such great friends, why do they hate each other the second they get in front of a computer?

"Joe bro?"

"Huh?"

"You were asking about Joey?"

"Oh, sorry. Nevermind." I mumble, trying to change the subject. She takes the hint. 

It's funny because she can understand my literal thoughts when I'm supposed to live thousands of miles away from her, but she just can't catch on that her other best friend is her worst enemy.

 You'd think they'd at least recognise each other's voice or something. But no.

"So. You're leaving today." She sighs. "It's crazy to think it's been almost a week since you got here."

I nod. And you know what's even crazier? That you can't understand that this guy that's your so-called 'best friend' is also your least favourite person. What a surprise.

"Yup." Is all I can muster.

Wyyen keeps fidgeting with her straw in silence until the milkshakes come. She seems unfazed.

 It's weird to think that I know something huge that could impact her life in a gigantic way that she doesn't know herself.

We don't really talk much about anything important until we get back to the apartment. Wyyen doesn't seem to suspect that anything's wrong, so I guess that's good. 

She unlocks the door and we both walk inside. 

I'm trying not to be awkward, but it's hard when there's a voice in the back of my head yelling at me to do something I don't want to.

Wyyen starts grabbing the suitcases that I had finished packing hours ago. We pull them to her car with a few short conversations. We hop in the car in which Wyyen will drop me off at the airport.

"You ready?" She sighs. She sounds kind of sad, which is fair, because I'm kind of her best friend, and we just met for the first time.

"Nope." I say honestly. This whole time I've had with her has been a blast and I already know I'm going to miss it when I leave. She laughs and I know she feels the same way.

"You'll be fine though, right?"

"Yup." I was fine before I came, so I'll be fine after. That's just how it'll be. "And you?"

"I hope." She laughs, her eyes glued to the road. "You got a song in your head?"

I nod. Why does she know me inside out? It's like she reads my mind.

"Wanna' play it?" She asks while opening the bluetooth setting in the car. I unlock my phone and pull up my playlist. 

I've got a sweet tooth for calm indie songs. It's almost as if the sounds are melting together as they hit my ears. They blend together so perfectly like they're rocking me to sleep, or giving me a tight hug. 

A lot of people that see me skateboarding think it's weird, but it's just my jam.

"I thought skateboarders had to like rock songs." Wyyen laughs.

"Well, no, I prefer classical piano or indie. Oh, and guitar."

Wyyen laughs again. "Cavetown?"

"YES." I slam my hands on my lap as the Poison by Cavetown plays softly in the car. 

We pull up to the airport after a few minutes of driving and Wyyen making fun of my playlists. Wyyen helps me carry all the bags inside and we both stand in silence staring at each other.

She charges towards me and embraces me suddenly. I tense and then loosen myself, feeling how much she cares about me in the simple gesture. I rest my arms and hug her back.

"I'm going to miss you, Jonathan."

I laugh at her finally using my actual name. And that she had to step on her tippy-toes to reach my ear.

"I'll miss you too." I whisper back, bending down so I can hug her more naturally. It takes a while for us to release each other and she looks up at me, finally.

"Are you going to leave yet?" She asks after stepping a foot away, still staring me in the face. "It was supposed to be dramatic, like, besties are saying goodbye, they hug and then never see eachother again. Go."

She motions with her hands sarcastically while her voice cracks. Classic Yore. I turn my head in both directions. 

"I don't want to leave you yet though. Are you crying?"

She laughs while using her sweater to wipe her face. "Yes." She runs up to me again and gives me another hug.

"I don't want you to leave either." She gasps and chokes which turns into laughter. "Okay. You can leave now. I won't stop you anymore."

She steps away and smiles, repeatedly turning her head to wipe her eyes with her sleeve. "Just promise you'll come back. Because I'll wait for you."

"I promise."

"Okay go now, you're gonna' miss your flight." She laughs and I wave, walking off into the crowd leaving Wyyen behind me.

-*ੈ✩‧₊˚❁-

Author's note:

Word count: 1197 

Heyy so honestly this chapter was suuuuuuper nostalgic for me to write so I hope my work makes somebody happy :) The next chapter is kind of a bunch of mixed feelings, and in my opinion it was written the best out of all the chapters ig... 

Anyways ur the best stay healthy byeeeeee <3