Pieces

Kate was unimpressed when she arrived at the airport and was greeted with a million questions about Tom. It was really the last thing she needed, and she felt so raw that for once she just didn't say anything at all. She was grateful to get to the lounge and sit on her own with her earphones in. Since saying goodbye to Ed she had been barely holding herself together, she felt raw and exposed. Her body ached, and her chest hurt, and she wondered if her heart was actually, literally, broken.

After a short sleep on the plane and a cab ride that seemed to go on forever, Kate was checked in to the Hilton. 5pm. She sent a text to Liz, hoping she could talk, and her phone rang a minute later. "Hey Lizzie,"
"Hi honey. What's wrong?"
"Tom and I. We're not... we're done."
"No.. what happened?"
"He.. I.."
"Oh, Kate, it doesn't matter. Are you coming home?"
"I can't. I have to go back to London and pack. And find somewhere to live. It all just fell apart, Liz."
"This isn't about that other woman, is it?"
"Not really. He didn't cheat or anything. I think it was over before last night. I have some other news though, Ed has started his own record label and I'm going to be his first signing. And I'm going to be the support act for the next tour in February."
"Kate that's amazing news! I'm so proud of you!"
"Thanks, sis."
"Oh I have to go, Luke is here. I'll talk to you tomorrow."
"Take care Kate, call me whenever you need to."

Tom returned to his trailer to get his bag and was surprised to find Declan. "I thought you'd be gone already."
"Luke asked me to drive you home,"
"Overprotective sod he is, I can drive myself. OK then, let's go."
As they walked to the gate Elizabeth caught up to them. "You doing anything tonight?"
"No Lib, I'm still shattered from last night! Dec is just driving me home, Luke already took the car."
"Why don't I drive you? It's on the way, I don't mind."
"Um, yeah OK. Thanks,"
When they arrived at Tom's house he was surprised to find Luke not there. The car wasn't there and the house was dark. He had tried not to have any expectations but he knew Kate was finishing today, and if she was coming she'd be here by now, and the lights would be on. He sent a text to Luke and got an immediate reply 'just in town organising some stuff for another job. Might be a while.'
"You're coming in?" He said when Lib got out of the car.
"Oh, just to make sure you get in ok. Then I can go if you want."
"You can stay, I'm not doing anything, just having dinner and an early night."
Tom began to wonder if she might have other ideas. She was lovely, yes. But he was engaged to Kate. Supposedly at least. Either way he wasn't ready for that, he still held out hope that she would come back. He went to the kitchen and got leftovers from the fridge, heating them in the microwave. They sat at the table and talked easily about the film, and other films. She was easy to talk to and his worry about what she was up to had soon diminished.

"How are you?" Luke asked sincerely. Kate shrugged. "I know this is hard, and it's awkward, but tonight I'm here for you, Kate. Your publicist, and your friend. And I am sorry you're going through this."
"Thanks," she managed to get out. "I just want to sort everything out. I need somewhere to live and I need to move my stuff. Quickly. Before Christmas."
"I'll get on it tonight. If I can't find somewhere you can stay with me until we do."
"I need a flight to London tomorrow. Actually, Sydney. Then I'll come back to move my things to the new place."
"OK I'll sort that out too. Can I do anything else for you?"
"No. Ed is going to send the contract straight to you, if you review it I'll sign it."
"Will do. Congratulations by the way, you earned that. You should be proud."
"Thanks," she said softly. "No releases yet, I haven't told my family." She stopped for a moment to think. "Make the flight to London and I'll pack everything up and put it in storage. Then when I get a place I can move it. Could you organise the piano though? It's the only piece of furniture I need to move, it will have to wait until I have a place."
"Consider it done. Kate, you need to slow down, take a breath."
"I can't, Luke. If I stop... I can't breathe.." she wiped her cheeks roughly and continued. "I'll call Tom tomorrow before I go. I assume this is what he wants anyway, but-"
"This is not at all what he wants, Kate. Give him some credit, he loves you."
"What's that saying about setting someone free if you love them, then? Anyway, he should probably hear it from me so it's official and he can move on. Can I see any releases before they go out, please? I'd like it to appear mutual. I guess it is mutual."
"OK," Luke moved closer to her on the couch and put an arm around her shoulders. "Stop. Right now. Breathe."
"Luke-
"This is my job. I'm making sure you're fit to carry on your job before you sign a new contract, and if you keep this up you will explode. Breathe. Feel it. It hurts, I know, but you can't get through it by pushing it down. Let it hurt, let it out."
Kate couldn't take any more, she leaned in and Luke held her tight while sobs racked her body. It felt like hours had passed before she could take a breath, and the tears didn't want to stop, flowing in rivers down her face and neck and on to her pink blouse. Eventually Luke made her a cup of tea and tucked her in to bed. He wanted to stay with her but she wouldn't let him, so he drove back to Tom's house.

When he arrived his stomach dropped. Elizabeth's car was in the driveway. He dearly wanted to give Tom the benefit of the doubt here, but he found it difficult to be OK with him hanging out with someone else while he consoled Kate. The front door was unlocked and he opened it quietly, gasping when he saw them kissing on the couch. He slammed the door closed, hard, making them both jump. He felt sick, not for himself, but for Kate. It was all true.
"You think you could get a room, or, you know, break it off with your fiancée first? Fuck, Tom. Seriously?" They both looked confused, Elizabeth looked mortified as she picked up her coat.
"I have to go, I'll see you in the morning."
"What the fuck, Tom. How could you?"
"How could I what? She kissed me, just now, and I was in the process of stopping it."
"Looked like you were hating it."
"What are you my relationship counsellor? Christ, it lasted all of a couple of seconds!"
"He's right. It was me, I got carried away and I was out of line," Elizabeth interjected.
"No, Tom. I'm your publicist. I'm also your friend, and Kate's. And it's a bit much to swallow when I just spent hours consoling her broken heart and come home to find you with someone else!"
"I- wait. You were with Kate? She's here?"
"Yeah. She's at the Hilton. She had- it doesn't matter. She's devastated, Tom. Broken. Lib, you need to go. Tom and I need to talk."
"Yes we do. Why didn't you tell me she was here?"
"She asked me not to."
"Not good enough."
"Check your emails, in deleted items. She sent that this morning, then she saw the photos of Elizabeth and you from last night. All I told her was that she was clearly interested but you'd never cheat on her. She insisted I delete the email before you saw it."
Tom's eyes skimmed over Kate's words, reading more thoroughly a second time. Tears began to spill down his cheeks. "She thinks I don't love her? Don't want to marry her?"
"She knows you love her. But she does think you wanted out."
"Never. I did that for her, not me. Fuck. What have I done? Is she gone?"
"No but she's sleeping. She was in bed when I left her."
"What do I do, Luke?"
"You read it, that's what she needs from you. Trust her to make her own decisions. Although at the moment the her decisions are coming from the depths of despair and she wants a flight home to pack and move out tomorrow. So if you're going to do something..."
"Do it now," Tom said. He paced the room, running his fingers through his hair.