Morning and Night

Tom sat on the bed in shorts, reading Kate's tour itinerary while she finished packing. Miami, Orland, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Washington, Philadelphia, New York, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus... 30 gigs in just under 6 weeks. He rubbed his eyes and yawned.
"Go back to sleep baby," Kate said, zipping her suitcase. "If I call a cab now I'll have plenty of time."
"No, I've had a week of rest and I feel a lot better. Almost myself. And I'm spending every last second with you while I can."
"You get dressed then and I'll get breakfast." She walked over to his side of the bed and kissed his lips. "I'm going to miss cooking for you. I'm going to miss cooking in general, never thought I'd say that!"
"I'm going to miss you. Just, you." He grabbed her waist and pulled her backwards so she was laying on top of him, making her squeal and press her hands in to his chest. He put a hand behind her head and pulled her face to his, kissing her slow and deep. He grunted as she pushed herself back against him to look at his face, and she giggled. "That would have been more romantic if I was a little... meatier."
"Haha maybe we'll try it again when you've got some muscles back?" Kate had only just got used to his thinner form. She still didn't like it, but she did understand now how it fit in with the role. Now that he had some colour in his skin that wasn't grey and the sparkle had returned to his blue eyes, he just looked a little too lean rather than sick.

Before they left the house they said their goodbyes as usual. They had worked out early on to get it all out away from the crowds of fans and photographers. Kate and Tom had found a good balance together now, and the farewells were getting easier with frequency. This was their life, for now, working in different countries, flying visits in unfamiliar cities. Kate smiled as she realised they were in a place where they could love one another and love their jobs. "I never knew so much could happen in a year," she said softly, her forehead resting against his.
"Just you wait," Tom said. "Another 6 months and we'll be married." he kissed her softly. "I can't wait to hear someone call you Mrs Hiddleston. And then we can have ba-"
"Baby Hiddlestons? And puppy Hiddlestons?"
"Hehehe I was going to say baby Kates. But yes, one day. We have plenty of time."
"My how things change, Thomas." she sighed, putting her head on his chest for a few moments, knowing it was almost time to leave. "I love you, and I will miss you every day."
"I love you too, darling. I can not wait until you come back to me." He pulled her in tight against him. "40 days, right?"
"40 days, baby."

Kate got through the airport to the departure lounge without any hassle and waited for her flight to Miami where she would meet up with Ed and the boys. She replied to an email about colours for the wedding. They had decided on pastel blues and greens with pink roses and Jennifer would send Kate some ideas in the next few days. She sat back on the plane, listening over the demo she had made of her new songs and making notes. On the way to the hotel she called Ed and she arrived soon after. It was still wet season in Florida, they arrived in pouring rain and Kate's shirt was already clinging to her skin with humidity. It wasn't until her bags had been brought up that she noticed the side table next to the lounge had a vase full of pink roses, and a huge box with a pink bow. The card on top simply said "Happy belated birthday my princess" and she knew it was from Tom. Kate's birthday had been and gone uneventfully while she was finishing up the tour, and with Tom being sick he had been disappointed they couldn't celebrate when she got to him. Inside the box Kate recognised the case style - it was a hard shell Martin guitar case. A smile spread across her face as she opened the latches and lifted the lid, and she gasped when she saw inside. It was an OM-18; mahogany, pre-war 1933 style, subtle, classic and beautiful. Tears stung her eyes as she searched for her phone to call him, but she was interrupted by a knock on the door from Ed. She opened it and Ed hugged her before he saw the guitar on the table. "You are shitting me. Where did that come from?"
"Uh, belated birthday gift from Tom."
"Holy hell Kate, he asked for a brand recommendation but I didn't know he'd... actually I shouldn't be surprised. No excuses now," he smiled. "I'm going to give you some alone time with your new toy and we'll grab you in a few hours for sound check. Enjoy," he winked.
As soon as she'd closed the door she called Tom, unsure if he would answer, and was pleasantly surprised when he did. "I'll be quick baby I know you're working."
"It's ok I'm in my trailer practising."
"I just got my gift, it's absolutely beautiful Tom I love it. It's way too much for a beginner."
"For a regular beginner, yes. For you, nothing is too much. And if you're going to play a classic like that it's best to start early."
"Spoken like a true musician, Hiddleston."
"Hehe I might have taken some suggestions from Rodney and Ed. I'm so glad you like it. I know I gave you a birthday gift but I couldn't resist. Hopefully it makes up for the lack of actual celebrating we got to do."
"I love you. I miss you already."
"Me too darling. I should get back to it, we're running the song in a couple of hours."
Kate hung up and went to get ready for the gig, knowing that once she picked up the guitar and started playing she wouldn't be able to put it down. When she was ready she sat down and played a few songs. She had to admit it was a little awkward, her hands weren't huge and the shape would take some getting used to. But the sound was beautiful and warm and she was so lost in it she didn't hear the first time Ed knocked. She put it gently back in the case and grabbed her bag, opening the door.
"You're not bringing the guitar?"
"I won't have time to play it, I need to get some keys practice in before tonight. What if I've forgotten how to play?" Kate joked.
"Bring the guitar, Kate."
"Ed, I'll bring it, but I am sure as hell not playing it on stage and you are not going to bully me in to it. Got it?"
"Ok. Not tonight at least." he smirked.