xv. my hair's not in a ponytail

"What do you think of this one?" Zoe walked out in a pink leather dress. Her father made his finger move in a circle which made the girl twirl to show him.

He shook his head, "Too much of a homecoming than a prom dress."

"You're so right." She nodded as she went to grab another dress.

"Why do you have all pink dresses anyways, I know for a fact that you're not a fan of the color?" He asked her, as she changed dresses.

"Sam is going to wear a pink dress, I thought we should match." She walked out now in a thin-strap lace dress.

"No, your hoo-has will fall out if you dance." Her father gave her a knowing look. She scrunched her nose before jumping while holding her dress to test the theory. Her father was right as she nodded and went back to the changing room.

"Why don't you get that violet dress I saw you staring at? You can even get Sam some purple corsage and she can match with you." He suggested to her. Zoe thought about it for a moment before she nodded.

"Fine." She gave in as the father went to retrieve the dress. It was a sequin dress with a v- neckline and showed off her body perfectly.

"Did we find our guy?" He asked with a knowing look as the girl found herself spinning around in it.

"We found our guy." She grinned at her father. As she changed her clothing, Sam texted her back with a number. It was the number of someone she'd been meaning to talk to.

"Hey, I have to make a phone call, is it cool if you pay for the dress?" Zoe asked as she stripped it off, the girl putting on her shirt and leggings.

"Of course." He nodded as Zoe opened the door of the try-on rooms, handed the dress to him, and headed outside, just tapping the number so it would automatically dial.

"Hello?" She heard the male voice ask. His voice sounded hoarse like he was crying earlier.

"Hey... Hawk. How are you?" She awkwardly greeted him. The two both were not expecting her to check up on him. He sat up in shock when he realized that Zoe freaking Garcia was calling him.

"Uh... I'm okay. I guess." He hesitantly replied to her question.

"That's good... I just wanted to make sure." She didn't know what to say. Neither did.

"Is that all?" The boy hesitated to ask.

Zoe inhaled, "Look, I'm not good at this. I just want to say... I know... I know you're going through a hard time. And I'm here if you need something."

Eli blinked, not expecting that. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, sure. I will let you know."

"Good... Because we are friends and that's what they do." She nodded.

"We're friends?" He asked out loud.

"Yes." She spoke offendedly as he profusely apologized. She pinched her nose. "Look, I know I've been a bit harsh on you, but I see that you're trying. And you are and I enjoy you for not stopping even when everyone doubted you."

The boy smiled gently, "Thanks."

"Besides, you can show those bitch ass punks who they chose to mess with at the All Valley tournament. Put them in their places." Zoe proclaimed to him, as she sat in her father's car.

He hesitated, "Yeah... You're right."

"Well, that's all I wanted to say. I hope you feel better." She confided to him before he hung up. She didn't know if he was going to continue with karate or not, that was going to be Demetri's job. Her job now was to get to Eagle Fang to practice with the new girl.