xii. cherry slushie!

Zoe walked into the child's birthday party, not knowing what to expect. It was pretty big for one, but then again there were a lot of kids there. Zoe held Sam's hand as multiple kids ran right in front of them.

"Do we really have to come to this?" Sam asked in annoyance.

"Uh, Sheilas worked for us for ten years, she's practically family. Anyways, you used to love to babysit Cindee. Oh, hi!" Amanda informed the girl before getting distracted by someone waving to her.

"This is just about the last place I'd like to be spending my Saturday with Zoe." Sam gave Amanda a knowing look.

"A lot of people have it worse than you," Amanda said to her back as the lights went dim.

"A show?" Zoe asked out loud as she and Sam turned to see what was happening. A bunch of girls dressed as mermaids came on stage. Sam started to smile, and Zoe noticed.

"Are you checking someone else out in front of me?" Zoe questioned her in disbelief, it was quiet enough so Amanda couldn't hear.

"That's Tory. Remember?" Sam reminded her, Zoe's mouth becoming an 'o' shape.

"That still doesn't answer my question, by the way." Zoe turned to her with a smug look. Sam rolled her eyes and nudged the girl before turning to Amanda.

"Did I say the last place I want to spend my Saturday? I meant the first." Sam laughed a little bit. As the mermaids dispersed into different areas of the room, Zoe noticed the menu of the snacks they had.

"Sam, look!" Zoe pointed out that they had a cherry slushie.

"Love a good slushie." Sam quoted Zoe as they nudged each other again gently.

"I can go grab one if you want." Zoe nodded, being very ready to rush over and order one.

"Yeah, I'll go find us a table." Sam nodded to the girl as they went their separate ways.

"What can I get for you today?" The worker asked the girl.

"One large cherry slushie with two straws," Zoe ordered the duo, going to grab her wallet.

"Oh, no need! The food and drinks are paid for by the party host." The worker stopped her from grabbing her wallet. She put it back in her purse.

"Is this what all rich people parties are like?" Zoe asked out loud.

"Yes." The worker nodded. Zoe hummed as she went to the waiting area so the next person could order. Her drink came not long afterward since the drink was not hard to make.

"Zoe!" She heard Miguel call out to her. She grabbed her drink and walked over to see him and Daniel there.

"Are you guys best friends with Cindee as well?" Zoe asked, pretending to be shocked that they were there.

"Oh yeah." Miguel went along with it as Daniel shook his head, "Besties since whenever she was born."

"Why is Sam covered in glitter?" Daniel asked as Zoe turned to see her, "Zoe, go find that out for me."

"Yes, sir." She saluted him before she grabbed Miguel to go with her.

"Interesting, uh, choice," Miguel spoke up, getting Sam to turn to them.

"You know, when I told you I liked arts and crafts, I did not mean for you to do this," Zoe smirked at the girl before taking a sip of the slushie.

"Are you going for the disco ball look?" Miguel asked the girl.

"Okay, you two, stop tag-teaming me." Sam chuckled at the group before she went super close to the bunch. Tory, in her mermaid outfit then stormed off, Zoe turning to see her but looking back when Sam pulled her close to her.