xxiii. cherry slushies for everyone!

"Yo, what's up Anthony?" Zoe high-fived the boy as she caught him, Sam, and Robby mid-conversation. Sam walked next to her, wrapping her arms around her waist as Zoe leaned into her side.

"See, Eli? Nothing to worry about." Demetri
pointed the couple out, "They're practically inseparable."

"That doesn't change the fact I still don't trust him." Eli glared at Robby, who didn't notice. Chozen whistled, gaining all of the group's attention.

"Line up!" He yelled, the group doing so. He yelled out in Japanese as the group went closer to him.

"So where are my dad and Johnny?" Sam asked, Zoe looked around to try and find them. Robby shrugged when Zoe raised her eyebrows at him, mentally questioning if he knew where his dad was.

"Not here." He responded, "Today, you train with me."

"Cool." Zoe beamed up at the man. He yelled something out in Japanese. Zoe turned away from him with a look of confusion.

"Attention." He put his arms by his sides. The rest of the group followed, Zoe turning back around to face him and follow his orders. He yelled out in Japanese and no one did anything.

"Bow." He threw his arms up slightly. They followed his orders, Zoe watching as he walked near her. "Cobra Kai gaining ground. We must prepare. Come. Now we learn about Yanbaru Kuina."

"What's that? Like, some secret karate move? Like a throat rip? Chris asked before he intimated it. Zoe rolled her eyes but mentally hoped what it was would be cool.

"No, it is bird," Chozen responded, Zoe looking down with a frown. "In English, called Okinawa rail. Endangered. Cannot fly."

"Hence, endangered," Demetri spoke up. Zoe shushed him, nodding her head to Chozen, who was picking something up. It was something wrapped in a cloth. When he took it off, it was a bunch of eggs.

"So, these are the real eggs?" Miguel asked him.

"No. Trader Joes. $3.29." Chozen corrected him. Zoe nodded at the cheap price. "Take egg."

Sam grabbed two and handed one to Zoe. She grinned as Zoe lifted it towards the sky to get a better glimpse of it.

"You like the view?" Zoe asked, "I'm doing this just for you. Do I look hot?"

"Absolutely." Sam nodded before they turned back to Chozen. "So, what do we do with them?"

"Yanbaru Kuina must protect egg. From Kume Shima habu. Poison snake. You must do same. Begin your preparation." He explained.

"What are we protecting them from?" Robby asked to clarify.

"From me," Chozen told them before letting them prepare. He swung his twin sai. Zoe grabbed Sam's arm and pulled her away as he yelled go. Sam and her brother talked as Zoe noticed Eli glaring at Robby. She rolled her eyes at his annoyance before Chozen whistled, notifying them it was time.

"Slow down. Slow down." Sam laughed quietly as Zoe pulled her the inside the dojo.

"Hush." Zoe scolded her quietly. They heard yells and Chozen laughing as they clasped their hands together. They both crouched down, looking every which way before they turned to see each other.

"You look so astonishing," Zoe whispered to her. Sam grinned as she leaned her forehead on hers. As Zoe lifted her head off of Sam, she saw Chozen behind her. She screamed out, Sam jumping as Chozen moved in front of where they were facing. He had both of their eggs.

"Birds love gawking, but with no other backup." He smashed both of theirs to the ground. "Helpless."

"Damn." Zoe cursed, the two walking out as the rest of the group.

"Snakes will take you down. One by one. I have tried to tell you what you must do. But you do not listen. You must learn to adapt. Or soon, you will be extinct." Chosen explained to the group. "Take new eggs, try again."

Sam grabbed herself two eggs, handing one to Zoe who huffed as she stuffed her egg in her pocket.

"Sensei Toguchi's real cryptic, like Mr. LaRusso, but aggressive like Sensei Lawrence." Demetri pointed out to the group.

"He's like my coach. Sweet on the outside but when you're on the field and not doing what they wanted." Zoe shuttered at her thought. Sam rubbed her arm.

"Like the hardest part in both styles," Chris added. They all started to separate before Anthony tried to get their attention.

"Guys, uh, wait. He said that the snakes would take us down one by one. Right? Just like he took us down one by one, but... But what if we weren't a bunch of ones? Like, what if we were..." Anthony explained his thoughts, trailing off.

"Together." Sam finished.

"Yes, exactly! Like, um, a raiding party in dungeon lords." Anthony nodded, proud of his plan.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Even if you're a level 85, you can't mount an attack on the grand realm alone." Demetri went on.

"You need a team. Everybody has a special role." Eli finished it for him.

"The only way we win is if we work together. As one." Anthony spoke to them seriously. They decided to put the eggs in the basket.

"Are we sure we want to put all our eggs in one basket? When you're specifically not supposed to do that." Demetri asked again.

"Isn't that what we just talked about?" Zoe snapped back. She turned her focus when she saw the move of a shadow, her eyes darting to Chosen, who ran with a bō staff at them. Eli blocked the staff, Robby attacking him from the other side. The boys quickly went up to choose to grab the bō, under Eli's instructions, almost grabbing the eggs if it weren't for Anthony snatching it just in time.

Sam kicked at him from one side, but him blocking it. Zoe ran forward, using her muscles to lift Chozen away from the group. She threw him back a little before they all got into fighting stances. Chozen faked them twice before standing.

"Snake concede." He spoke before the group celebrated. Sam grabbed Zoe's arm to pull her closer to her as they celebrated their win against Chozen.

"This is what we have that Cobra Kai does not. Their movement mile wide but only inch deep. But our movement, inch wide, but mile deep. Now that you have learned to work together, I will teach you how to master your defense." He yelled out in Japanese. The group stood up straight before they bowed to Chozen.

"Cherry slushies for everyone!" Zoe shouted, the group cheering to her yells, "As long as you pay for it yourselves. All you get is the ride there."

AN: this took me a bit but thats because my school is performing chicago and i'm roxie's understudy and i have to be there for all of the performances even though i get one.