tell me it'll be okay

Start from the beginning

"What did you have in mind?" I ask him, skeptically. He grins again and I worry about what I might have ahead of me.

"I finished another piece," he tells me conspiratorially and I instantly sit up.

"Nuh-uh," I say, excited now.

"Mhmm, will you be my model?" He raises his eyebrow as I nod enthusiastically. Xander holds out his hand, "Let's go then."

"You know, when you asked if I'd be your model, I didn't realize you meant for like, an actual photo shoot," I say through the dressing screen, nerves evident in my voice.

"I won't use the photos if you don't let me, but I thought this could be fun," Xander calls over the screen and I can hear him shifting things around in the room. I had been expecting him to lead me to his room once more but I was surprised when he led me to the Rose Conservatory.

It's the least used conservatory in the palace and it's easy to see why. Through the years, outdated furniture has filled it and I'm surprised to see it's lent a certain Wonderland vibe to the room. Half of the room has ivy covering the windows, giving very atmospheric lighting and when I notice the ancient chipped tea set set out for a party, I'm not at all surprised to find that I will be playing the role of Queen of Hearts.

I am surprised to find Madeline hiding behind the curtain, ready for a complete hair and makeup overhaul.

"Xander told me about the photoshoot and I double checked with Audrey to be sure you'd have the time today, I'm so glad you said you'd do it," she confides in me as she laces up the corset top.

It's the same three piece set as before and I'm impressed to see that the additional piece Xander has finished is half corset, adding to the whimsy the room is providing. When I'm fully in costume, I come out from behind the screen.

"Well, maestro, what do you think?" I ask him, spreading my arms wide and giving a slow turn. When he doesn't respond right away, I worry and meet his eyes. "Is something wrong? Is it not what you were picturing?"

"No," he says, seemingly in a state of shock. Shame shoots through me, upset that I'm not living up to his vision when he looks me in the eye and corrects himself, "I mean, no, I could never have pictured this. You're perfect."

His words bring a flush to my cheeks and suddenly I find that I can't meet Xander's eyes. "Oh," I say softly and I'm surprised to find my voice thick. "I— thank you."

The moment settles over us, making us both hesitant to break the silence. It's like we're both back in middle school, admitting to our school crush that we like them. And I do like Xander. He's one of the guys that I feel most comfortable around, comfortable enough for me to let him do a photoshoot of me, and that's saying something.

I shift, breaking the silence, "So, uh, who's our photographer?"

"Oh!" Xander rushes to the far table and picks up a fancy looking camera. "Bax, from media, let me borrow this, so I guess I am, if you're okay with that."

"I trust you," I tell him honestly and I watch another blush color his cheeks. I try to give him an encouraging smile as I move into the set.

It starts off a little awkward. I don't know what to do or how to pose. Most of the photo shoots I've been part of up until this point have all been proper. Trying to make me look like the crown princess I am and more general shoots with the family. This... this is art. Xander takes a minute to come into his role too. At first I can tell he's not getting the shots he wants. He frowns everytime he looks at the results. Finally, Madeline steps up, rearranging me and when she steps back she says something in Xander's ear. He shoots and when he sees the results he snaps into it. Soon he's directing me more and I fall into the poses he wants. Then my dancer side takes over and I finally feel the connection. The best poses feel the most tense, at least for me. It's not as easy as sitting there and looking at the camera. No, so many of my muscles need to be engaged.