4, Jigs up

I've been trying to sleep as much as I could, but sadly not enough. But with Cade barely leaving the barn, we haven't had an opportunity to escape.

And as long as Cade is in the barn, neither of us can relax.

"Great, that's awesome. Once I graduate and I'm gone, who's gonna take care of you?" Cade's daughter was the first to speak when her and her father walked into the barn.

"Oh, you take care of me? Who taught you how to solder a circuit? Or write a program? Or French braid your hair? Or throw a spiral? Me. That's what I do." Cade argued back, making a point.

"Who taught you how to cook without ketchup, or balance your checkbook? Who always has to be the grownup around here?" His daughter made a better point. Damn. I like this girl.

"Alright, you got a point, okay? But that means we're a great team. And I know it's been sucky around here lately. But we're gonna be fine, sweetie. You just gotta keep believing, okay? I mean, that's what great inventors do. I promise you, one day, I'm gonna build something that matters." Cade spilled his heart out on the floor. It felt messed up to listen in but kinda hard not to.

"I believe you, Dad."

"You know, your mom would be very proud of you." Would? ...oh. I couldn't even stop my frown if I wanted to.

~~~

For the past day or so, cade hasn't left the barn long enough for us to even try to make an escape. This man is very passionate to say the least.

But when Cade started working on Optimus, is when we got scared.

"Is there anything that he could find that would give away that your not as normal as you seem?" I whisper from a blind spot that he forced me to hide in.

"A few, yes, but he hasn't gotten close yet. We're in the clear." Optimus whispered softly to me.

"I can't imagine that this feels great either. Stranger rummaging around your insides." I clench my fist, frustrated that they're unaware that he's sentient and has personal space.

After awhile it got worse, pulling parts from his body, putting them back, taking out the car battery but keeping it hooked up, so he could get deeper, pulling out the radiator and examining the huge hole that the missile left in it.

Optimus was in pain too.

He said it was tolerable but still. That doesn't help my rage.

Then it all fell apart so fast when he hooked him up to a working battery...

"Dad!" Cade's daughter called from outside the barn.
"Coming!" He came out from underneath Optimus,

"Are you working with lasers? If so, I'm not coming in."

"You guys have never seen a truck like this before. Get in here. Lock that door." Cade swung the door open and coaxed them inside.

"It doesn't have a lock." The man who's name I learned is Lucas just shut the door.

"Look! Look at the hole in the radiator. Look at the size of it. Something blew a hole in it!" Cade exclaimed in excitement at the mystery.

"Yeah, so?"

"It's not normal steel. The shrapnel in the engine, it ripped all the connections apart. And watch, and this took some Cade genius. You are gonna love this. When I hook this back to a working battery... " he connects the engine wires to the battery, sparks start flying as his radio starts playing the message from Optimus.