💧The Right Protection

A few years ago (think I wrote another idea about it), there was an 'issue' which got a sidebar in the news with some training pants. In their quest to make diapers and pull-ups more comfortable for the child, one manufacturer had found a particular mix of mild numbing agents and topical muscle relaxants that made potty training a lot harder. And they used this stuff in relatively high amounts, so that parents would keep on buying diapers for a year or two longer. But after they got in trouble for that, they found a new market. The diapers are now marketed to parents who actually want to keep a child in diapers for longer; whether to discourage a precocious child, or to discourage bullying by allowing siblings to potty train at the same time (basically a handicap for the older, so it's "fair"). These special diapers and training pants aren't given huge advertising campaigns, because the manufacturers know that some people would object to it. But there are subtle advertisements in some magazines aimed at mothers.

One mother decides that her older daughter is growing up too quickly, and wants her to be less independent. Not because she's being cruel or anything, but because she thinks she could be too easily led by her untrustworthy friends. So when there's rumours of an illness going around that can cause bedwetting in some people, she decides she's going to baby her older daughter again. A couple of the younger daughter's friends have had this illness, so Mum persuades her to wear diapers overnight for a couple of weeks "just in case". She says they'll only buy one pack at a time, and once she finishes a pack and none of her friends are ill, she'll not have to wear them anymore. And because the kid is a little bit of a brat, she comes up with the "Look, me and your sister will wear them too" excuse.

Only the older sister gets the special medicated diapers. They're not quite effective, but when Mum gives her a sleeping pill to help her sleep more deeply, she wakes up wet. And that activates the chemicals, making them a lot more potent in future, slowly unravelling her potty training. She sees a doctor, who tests her for the illness and says she doesn't have it. So maybe this condition is psychosomatic; she started having accidents as soon as she knew that it would be safe. And once she's wetting the bed regularly, Mum starts thinking about using other products from the same company to baby her more; like making her have a daytime accident occasionally. She won't be hanging around with the bad kids anymore, and when she needs help from her mum, she starts to respect her more.

But there's one 'friend' who the older daughter has bullied before, who seems like she wants to know what the big secret is. And when she starts prying more, mum realises that she might actually be smart and informed enough to work out what's going on. Rather than 'bullying' (an initial urge to get her own back?), she gets hooked by her curiosity and wants to know the truth.

And at the same time, the younger sister starts to get jealous. She might even wet the bed once or twice, and tell Mum that she needs diapers too. That worries the mum, because she doesn't know what's causing it. But it turns out that the younger one is jealous of the attention, and thinks that she doesn't want to grow up yet. Eventually, Mum realises that her older daughter might have rebelled a bit, but is smart enough to look after herself. So putting her back in diapers only hurts her, and the only reason Mum is still doing it is because she wants a baby to look after. When her younger daughter says she wants to be a baby, maybe that's a way for everybody to get what they want.

Not sure, but I think it might be interesting to tell this one from the younger sister's point of view, so we see someone else being regressed and might not realise right away how much it's affecting her.