Chapter 10: Reaching a Checkpoint!

Another week had passed, and time was ticking.

The midterm exams were next week, so studying became more of a priority for the students of Class D, especially with their future points at stake. They didn't want their points to be any lower than they already were, rather they wanted to increase what they already had.

In order to do that, they needed to be better than how they were last month. They were already lucky that they didn't outright lose all of their points so this time, things were going to be different.

They needed to do two things in order to increase their points this time. The first is to fix their own behavior, which has been going well so far. The other one is passing their midterms and making sure that none of them fail, which is a harder task than one might think.

Despite the efforts of the students who volunteered to teach their classmates, there's no telling if all of them are capable of passing their exams, particularly the seven people who failed the previous mock test.

But, it's not like anyone was sure of what could happen. Who knows? By some miracle, they might be able to pass their midterms, all of them. If that's the case, then no one will be in any danger of being expelled.

After their classes had ended, Ayanokouji and Sakura were heading to the library for yet another tutoring session, which more or less became a regular occurrence for the two of them. The past two weeks were but a blur now, but it didn't take away how they spent the weekdays at the library, studying and learning together.

Especially for Sakura, who thought that she could spend three years in this school staying as someone in the shadows who couldn't even hold a proper conversation with another person.

While they were walking, Kiyotaka then felt his phone vibrate all of a sudden, prompting him to check the message he had received.

He hummed for a few seconds, before returning his phone to his pocket. "Looks like Karuizawa's gonna be late for a bit."

"Eh?" asked Airi, as she turned to him in confusion. This was something that truly surprised her, because Kei was always with them during this time of the day and she had gotten used to the blonde girl's company. "W-Why?"

Kiyotaka shrugged. "She's going to eat with her friends, apparently. But she promises that she won't take long, so it's fine."

Airi blinked. If there's one good thing about Kiyotaka being a tutor, it's the fact that he was incredibly patient and wasn't strict with his methods.

"Oh... w-what do we do while we wait for Karuizawa-san, then?"

"When we get there, find an empty table for us to occupy. I'll be returning these books first, then I'll find you. From this point onward, we're no longer taking information from books. We're going to see and work on how much you actually remembered from the topics I've taught you."

In his hand was a plastic bag filled with the books they had used for the past few days. He borrowed them for Airi and Kei to use and study whenever they had free time.

"O-Okay."

Although she was nervous, Airi knew that this was inevitable. She knew that she won't be able to rely on books for so long, because her performance will depend on how much she knew by heart. That's why she has been putting a lot of effort into her studying ever since Kiyotaka began tutoring her and Kei.

Upon reaching the library, both students were surprised to see that the place looked relatively empty, compared to how it was last week. It didn't even seem like their classmates were there, not that it mattered. As a matter of fact, the quiet atmosphere was a nice change of pace.