"Good. That will be all for this afternoon, you may rest. But you will have to join us for dinner."

So far, Yun was impressed by how quickly Qi Die was learning. And it seems like being from a brothel had somewhat of its perks. She already knew how to read and write, and to take care of herself like a lady. The only things that she would have to learn fast were the basic etiquette of nobles. That including how she sat, how she spoke and how she ate.

Only one thing had seemed to make Qi Die uncomfortable. Being bound by so much rules and restrictions, it had seemed the opposite of what she wanted. She had also felt undeserving of the clothes that Yun had lent her to wear, despite looking absolutely stunning in them.

She had seemed like a different person after Ling helped her to change. Her hair was tied up and adorned with flower pins, and the dress she had worn was of a striking red, something that Yun would normally avoid dressing in, but it looked befitting on Qi Die.

Yun was surprised to say the least when Qi Die agreed to her plan. But she quickly got to know the reason.

I came from poverty, and to survive, my parents had to sell me off to the brothel to feed my younger brothers. It was a stroke of luck that I wasn't one of the serving ladies. What you promised may not be what I want, but it might be what I need. I want to think of myself as deserving of all that you have said, and that I will not shy away from them. You can count on my help in your plan.

Qi Die had never asked why Yun was doing this though, and this warmed Yun's heart the most. A small part of her did wonder how she could just trust someone off the streets that she had barely knew, but it was touching nonetheless. Or maybe it was just sheer desperation. But for that, she wanted to ensure that Qi Die would be safe in her steed, but she had to figure out how to do so as well within two days.

The sun was slowly setting. And it cast a beautiful orange glow across the Royal City. Yun took a seat by the window as she looked out, feeling the damp spring breeze caress the wisps of her hair. All of this, she wanted to remember when she was gone.

═════════════════

A knock came from the door, and Ling immediately flounced over again, pulling the door open wide.

"High General Jin!"

True enough, Jin was on the other side, like he promised. He wore something much like last night, his hair still spilling over his shoulders. And he carried something in his hands as he walked in.

Yun hands clenched as she saw Jin. During the short time that they'd known each other, Jin had begun to grow on Jin as a friend, not like Ling of course, but in a more equal way where she could exchange ideas and talk naturally with. The thought of having him carry out a lie with her was a bit too forced however, and if possible, she wouldn't want him to do this, but Jin was to play an integral part within the plan she was drawing up.

"Yun, it's nice to see you feeling better." Jin commented. She lifted her eyes and locked her gaze with Jin. His face seemed to shade slightly red, and he broke the eye contact first. "I already asked the innkeeper to bring some of his best dishes upstairs, I hope you don't mind."

"I don't, thank you." Yun lips tugged at the corners, falling down almost immediately however.

Jin sat down, oblivious to Yun's internal struggle. "I presume you liked what I picked out last night?"

For a split second, Yun thought that he was joking, but then she realised she was still wearing the hair pin in her hair. She pulled it out almost immediately, and placed it on the table.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise that I was still wearing it."

"You don't have to apologize. As long as you like it, it doesn't matter whether you'd wear it for me or not." Jin looked at the pin, and suddenly Yun noticed a slight change in his demeanour, as if he was disappointed.

"It's not that I don't want to wear it." Yun begun, feeling bad about her actions. "I just, don't want other people to misunderstand our relationship."

"I... see."

"But I truly like what you picked out, Jin. Maybe I'll wear it more when I have the chance to in the future."

Jin lifted his head, and the brightness returned to his demeanour. "I'm holding you to your words."

"Of course."

At that moment, the servers started bringing the dishes Jin mentioned beforehand into the room, setting them down on the table. They also set down three bowls of rice, which somewhat perplexed the general. But before Jin could ask the server, she'd quickly caught his attention.

"Jin, I want you to meet someone."

The confusion in his eyes was quickly replaced by a stunned look when Ling guided Qi Die into the room after the servers left. One of them actually tripped on the threshold when they saw Qi Die, and continued down the hallway in a bashful manner afterwards.

Yun observed Jin as he watched Qi Die sit down with them. At first it was the stunned look, and then admiration, which quickly turned into confusion. He turned over to look at Yun, his gaze curious.

Somehow, at the stunned look that he had at first, Yun felt an overwhelming burst of something she couldn't identify. As if a sense of insecurity and a slight anger at Jin's reaction, which surprised herself. She wasn't jealous, was she?

Yun quickly cleared her throat. "This is Qi Die."

"Nice to meet you." Qi Die greeted him, smiling politely.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance." Jin nodded back, his hands seemingly tight at his sides.

"Yun, I thought...?"

"I... understand, Jin." Yun sighed. There really was no way to begin this properly, was there?

"I need your help."

"What?" Something in Jin's eyes flashed, and he looked at her as though he was seeing Yun as someone new. The brightness in his gaze dimmed, and he looked down slightly.

"I need your help. I want to let Qi Die, replace me." She started again, taking a deep breath. "I want Qi Die to enter the palace in my stead."

Jin's eyes flashed again, the curiosity gleaming even stronger than the first time he ever saw her. But it quickly turned into another perplexed and frustrated look. "Yun, you do know that a crime like this is punishable for death."

"I understand. But I need to get back to my father." Yun whispered, clutching both her hands tightly in her lap. "I have to."

Jin blinked slowly as he leaned backwards on his stool. You are very brave, you know that?"

"I don't think that way at all, Jin. I am just running away."

Jin seemed to want to add more to her statement, but he held himself. After a few moments, he sighed. "I will do my best to help, Yun. As a dear friend, I will try my best to keep you out of trouble. No matter what it takes."

"Thank you."

"No problem." His lips twisted in a small grin as he looked at Yun.

Yun smiled in relief too, relaxing her demeanour almost instantly as he agreed. One more day till I can go back.