"The lanterns are representations of Omi, that's why you see so many blue and white ones tonight. See this here?" Athe pointed out a wall painted with the phases of the moon, "On certain evenings, the last rays of the sun will come through the gap in the wall across the way and light the full moon."

"Since tonight is the solstice," Boda told her, "and it's a tide as well as a full moon, many people believe it's a lucky night. Most of these vendors are out here advertising their business tonight, hoping it will bring them more business. I see you bought a flower for your hair, that color looks good on you."

Nina adjusted it behind her ear. "Thanks, it's a thing people used to do where I'm from. Other people do it too, but it's how you wear it that's important."

As they toured the city, the sun sank behind the archipelago and soon the Dreen began to make their way down to the shore, just above the tide-line. Athe and Boda led Nina towards the wide terrace where Nina had lunched with Ardus. "We won't be that close to the water, but I like the view better up there." Nina followed along, her bare feet patting on the stone streets lit golden by the many lamps. They came to a large intersection in the middle of the market district, where a fountain sprayed a jet of clear water twenty feet straight into the air. Passing it, Nina saw hundreds of flowers and glowing glass balls floating in the water. She stopped when she saw a familiar shape blocking the light from the lanterns across the street. He was facing the shore, in all appearance oblivious to her, his arms crossed and his eyes taking in the crowds. Athe came up behind Nina, "Well, well, look who decided to come out of his cave!"

At the sound of Athe's voice, Ardus looked around. He seemed surprised to see them, as though he hadn't heard them discussing their plans. He made his way slowly around the fountain's base, dodging Dreen as they moved in a steady stream towards the beach. Compared to the glowing, flashing, glittering Dreen all around, Ardus seemed more shadow than man. He was dressed in his usual dark, drab clothes, the only shine to him the winking silver flashes of lamps and sunset on the rings in his barbels and studs in his frilled ears. The brightest part of him were his eyes, blue-on-black like the moon on the ocean and when he turned them on her Nina wondered if a sudden hot wind had blown in from the mainland as her throat and cheeks fevered. She swallowed hard, feeling like she'd eaten too many clickers after all. "Hello Doctor, didn't expect to see you here."

"I was not expecting to come." He looked down at her and Nina wished the evening would cool off before she began to sweat. In the lantern lighting she could make out the barely upturned corner of his mouth, the slight crinkles in the corners of his eyes. "How are you enjoying the festival?"

"It's wonderful! The city's beautiful, the food's amazing, it's...it's incredible. Dreenai is incredible."

"I am glad you're enjoying it. In a few weeks, I will show you even more." Now the corner of his mouth curled, warming his dark face. "Were you three going to the beach to watch the tide?"

"Um..." Show me more? More what? Oh gods... "Right, yes, we were headed that way."

Ardus nodded in the direction of the shore. "You had better catch up, it looks like they have gone on without you." Turning, Nina caught the tail end of Athe waving at her. She made to catch up, even stepping away from the fountain's base, but Athe's wave turned to a gesture, a subtle shift from hello to no, stay! Athe's widened eyes and tilt of his head made up Nina's mind for her. She turned back to the fountain, and to the big, dark Dreen standing by it. "You know, I think they want some alone time. The tide's a couples thing, right?"

Ardus shrugged, but his eyes were wary. "Typically, yes."

"Well, it's probably going to get pretty crowded down there, and noisy."