Chapter 43 - Save the Lullaby

Start from the beginning

Elain laughed as Nesta lowered herself in the navy blue cushioned accent chair across from the love seat, her tight silvery skirt shimmering against her skin, illuminating her shining skin as she rolled her eyes. "Rhysand should just keep his nose out of other people's business."

Feyre scowled at Nesta as yet another voice joined the conversation from the threshold of the room. "Well Rhysand has a court to run my dear sister-in-law, so I'm sorry to tell you that that's not always possible."

The High Lord sauntered across the room, coming to stand behind the loveseat, his elegant hands resting on his mate's shoulders. Nesta just rolled her eyes again, though Elain could tell there was a hint of a soft expression beneath her mask. Nuala entered then, scooping up the still-exploring Nyx, dipping her head in acknowledgement of the family before leaving with the cooing babe, bringing him to the kitchens for an afternoon snack.

"Maybe we should just be happy that Lucien spell cleaved the false mating bond himself." Feyre arched a brow toward Nesta who acquiesced, raising her palms to her sister with a chuckle. "I'm sure he's as happy to be rid of such strange magic as Elain is."

Elain nodded, a smile forming on her lips as she glanced up toward Rhys. "Have you figured it out yet? Do you have any theories as to what occurred?" Her curiosity was brimming as she gazed up at the High Lord.

"Well... yes. I think. I've studied some tomes with Amren and we've collected our ideas into our best guess." Striding toward the fireplace, Rhys flipped around to face the sisters, his hands in his pockets as he launched into his speech. "Firstly, we know the bond between Elain and Lucien was false. Whatever was tethering them together was not a real mating bond, because we know those cannot be broken." His violet eyes flickered toward Feyre briefly before he continued speaking. "We believe that there was a type of magical force tying Elain to Lucien, most likely placed over them by the Cauldron."

Nesta inhaled a sharp breath as Elain arched a brow toward Rhys, crossing her arms over her chest. "So you're telling me that stupid cooking pot caused all this trouble?" She huffed, a frown tugging at her lips as Feyre broke into a happy laugh, shaking her head at Elain's irreverence.

Rhys smiled as well. "Well, it seems that 'cooking pot' has a special affection for you Elain. Amren believes that the Cauldron views you as something precious and valuable: it desires to protect you. So when you were dumped out of the water, sopping wet and vulnerable, the Cauldron lassoed you to the nearest male who was distressed by your condition."

"Lucien." Feyre whispered his name as Rhys nodded solemnly. "But if the Cauldron wanted Elain protected, why not just let her natural bond with Azriel snap into place? Why mask a real bond with a weak false one?" Feyre's question hung in the air as Rhys' eyes darkened.

"If you remember, Az had just been impaled with an ash arrow dipped in faebane." Rhys trembled slightly, no doubt disturbed by the horrific memory. "We think the Cauldron passed over Azriel because at the time he wasn't capable of protecting Elain, even near death's door."

Elain felt herself curl up, her body coiling tense and angry as the sickening image flashed in her mind, Azriel so near death before she even had a chance to know him.

Clasping his hands together, Rhys began pacing in front of the fire as the sisters watched him, their eyes glued to the High Lord. "So, it seems that their true mating bond was masked by the Cauldron's false bond in the way the inherent 'knowledge' of a mate can be masked, but it wasn't able to fully dissolve any imprint of it. If you think about it, these two have had mate behavior from day one."

Feyre looked at Elain who flushed at the words, looking down at her hands as Rhys continued. "Az basically went on a suicide mission to save Elain from Hybern, Elain has said she feels as though she's dying if Azriel is suffering, and they, uhm—"