Chapter 6 - No Talk, No Wine

Elain could not believe how sprawling the city of Patras was.

Before getting ready for the party, she and Feyre had opted to explore, taking a walk with Nyx along the river and into the city beneath. The river Sol, they were told, sprung from Helion's largest reflecting pool in the center of his courtyard, seemingly arriving from an unknown magical source underground before flowing out into the city, joined at a tributary by two smaller rivers which encircled the outside border of the grounds, one of which Elain could see from her chambers on the South-Eastern wing of the grounds.

Trailed by Nuala and Cerridwen, Elain and Feyre walked slowly, observing the merchants, shopkeepers, and fae families enjoying the markets, as well as the elaborate boats gliding across the Sol, sailors and boatfae greeting them in passing. Scents of exotic dishes wafted out from the restaurants and market stalls, the sisters occasionally passing a booth with lambs or boars roasting on rotating spigots. Foreign faerie languages echoed across the market booths, the hot sun rising in the sky, sending the faeries into the shade of the stalls to continue their haggling.

"This place causes me to think of Father. " Elain mused aloud to Feyre as they entered a homeware shop. "Like I'm visiting one of the places he traveled when he was the Prince of Merchants."

Feyre nodded to her sister, a glassy look swelling in her eyes.

"I like to think of him visiting places like this sometimes: what his expression would have been. I think Father would be pleased to know that his daughters have explored the world and seen much more than just the human lands." Feyre smiled taking her sister's hand in her own as they circled the cramped interior of the shop. "He would have been so proud of you Elain."

Elain smiled back at her sister, squeezing Feyre's hand. Drawing apart, she ambled over to a shelf displaying terracotta and limestone teapots, painted and carved with elaborate imagery of the high noon sun. Picking up a matching flower vase, Elain turned it in her hands, trying to make out the scrawl, the language foreign to her knowledge.

"Are you looking forward to the party tonight?" Feyre called over, looking over at her sister while smelling an assortment of ornate red and gold wax candles in the center of the dimly-lit shop. "I believe Lucian is arriving this afternoon for the party instead of coming in the night."

"Is he?" Elain responded pleasantly, setting down the vase and waiting for some sense of excitement or anticipation to sweep over her at the news of her mate's arrival. It never came. She leaned over another shelf, avoiding Feyre's gaze, and running her hand through a basket of raw turquoise crystals.

These were the most frustrating moments for Elain. At least lately. She had thought, perhaps foolishly, that declaring her intentions to court Lucien would somehow cause a strand of the mating bond to tug at her soul. That her outward show of acknowledgement would trigger a reaction between the two of them. But it hadn't. The bond remained slumbering, latent and inaccessible. Even the idea of seeing her mate tonight at the party illicited no reaction from her fae body or her human heart. Elain was positive that Nesta had a reaction to Cassian's presence back at their manor, even while she was but a human.

"I'm sure the party will be worth an early arrival from Lucien." Elain mused warmly, moving her hand from the crystals to a basket of novelty shells and dried coral. "Although I don't know how it can get more impressive around here, I'm intrigued to witness one of Helion's parties. Even if there are fae dancing around in the nude." Elain chuckled, eyeing her sister. "I'm sure it will be an... experience."

Feyre looked mildly concerned, set down the violet candle she was considering purchasing and came closer to Elain.

"If you're uncomfortable at any moment—" she spoke in a hushed tone, resting her hand on Elain's upper arm.