Chapter 14 - Well. Shit.

Elain balanced precariously on the saddle, struggling to pull at the side of her skirts which were hitching up her thigh, the leather of the saddle chafing against her skin.

Hot Day Court sun beat down on her shoulders, and she felt a drop of sweat forming under the straw hat Nuala had fastened to her curled updo. Lucien and Elain had been riding for the past hour, and her legs were beginning to feel numb.

Looking up from her skirt and over the mare's bobbing head, Elain gripped the cantle of the saddle and watched as Lucien expertly maneuvered the tight trail, his posture relaxed and easy, commanding the mare with skill and confidence over the rocky terrain, missing the nearby branches effortlessly, his shoulders angling away whenever he passed by a tree closely.

He made it seem so easy.

Frustrated, Elain reached down, giving the cotton material of her skirts another yank. She pulled hard, throwing her weight against the fabric, but not before regretting it immediately as she felt her balance falter, letting out a startled shriek, frightening her horse. The mare bucked, whinnying with displeasure as Elain shrieked again, holding onto the cantle and grabbing at the mare's mane.

Lucien whirled in his saddle, raising a hand to the horse and calming her gently with a single word. Elain regained her balance, embarrassment flooding her cheeks, as she nodded her thanks to her mate with a smile of chagrin.

He turned forward in his saddle again, calling back toward her. "It would be simpler for you to try trousers perhaps. When she was in Spring Court, Tamlin and I were shocked when Feyre— "

"I am not Feyre." Elain snapped. Startled by her own tone, she added softly. "I prefer dresses."

Lucien glanced back, offering a nod of understanding, but Elain noticed a ripple of tension cresting his jaw.

This was the second time the mates had attempted a horseback ride through the countryside of Patras. On the previous try, Elain had ridden on Lucien's horse, holding his waist from behind. They had started the trek in the vineyards of Helion's palace, traveling East, heading for gods-only-knew-where, for all of thirty minutes before it was decided that her straw hat pressing into his shoulder blades was uncomfortable for both parties.

That failed attempt at bonding pretty much summed up how the entire last month had gone for them following the exit of the Inner Circle from Patras.

Lucien and Elain had spent hours and hours together, courting in the company of chaperones, trying their hand at a menagerie of activities, desperately trying to find one they could mutually enjoy. So far, Elain had fallen asleep during three games of chess, Lucien had stepped on her toe during a waltzing lesson, and the pair had decided together that the markets were too loud and hot for comfortable conversation.

Helion had become a buffer for the mates, and as much as Elain hated to admit it, she was happier when the High Lord deigned to join them on their outings. His laid-back presence comforted her, and it seemed that Lucien and Helion could spend eternity discussing everything under the sun. The High Lord had even gotten in the habit of bringing Lucien with him on his near-daily Pegasi flights on the afternoons Elain spent in the gardens with Sandrielle exploring and cataloging her blooming influence over living plants.

Lucien had seemed impressed at first with Elain's magic, calling it a "nice amplification of a beloved hobby." Probably because the magical skill was all but useless in battle or war strategy she mused, rolling her eyes as she gripped the cantle tighter. The High Priestess however, did not seem to believe that Elain's magic was insignificant. Her time with Sandrielle in the gardens had become almost sacred to Elain, and it seemed that Lucien felt the same way about his time with Helion. Taking the horseback ride with Elain this afternoon had meant that he would miss a Pegasi flight with Helion, and Elain noticed that Lucien seemed to feel it was the lesser of two opportunities.