1| Diamonds

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Diamonds

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 1: Diamonds (Stella's POV)

Apparently, diamonds were a girl's best friend... I was given no choice but to take that very literally. Becoming a jewelry heiress wasn't exactly part of the plan I had for myself but it was exactly where life had led me. 

Now, if I have to work with diamonds and jewels, I might as well make them my best friends. 

"Stella, mia cara, vieni qui," my father said, calling me over. 

Here we go. 

Keeping any profanities I had to myself, I left my drink on the counter and made my way to where my father stood with one of the many men at this party that I didn't recognize. 

"Lorenzo, this is my daughter." I watched my father with annoyance bubbling within me as he turned to face me. "Incontra il mio amico bene, hmm?" he mumbled, demanding that I meet his friend nicely. 

"Come mai? I tuoi amici non pensano che io sia simpatico?" I asked with a false smile before turning to his so-called friend. 'How come? Don't your friends think I'm nice?' I extended my hand. 

"Lorenzo Ricci," he introduced himself with a polite smile and a small crinkle by his eyes. 

I shook his hand and deepened my smile. "Stella Almonte." 

I didn't need to look to know my father probably felt a surge of annoyance or to hear the frustrated sigh escape him followed by a forced chuckle as Mr. Lorenzo over here turned to him in confusion. "She keeps Isabella's last name," my father explained. 

"Ah, I see," Mr. Lorenzo nodded in understanding as I pulled my hand back. 

"Questo è il suo partito," my father said, informing me that this man here was the host for tonight's party. 

"I assume you're the one my wife met when she came to speak to you for tonight," Mr. Lorenzo said, "for the jewelry." 

I nodded, maintaining a professional smile. "She informed me that you would like to purchase some pieces for the auction, yes. We signed the agreement this morning." 

"You do business very well, Ms. Almonte. We intended to keep at least eighty percent." 

"That would hardly be fair, Mr. Lorenzo, don't you think? You're selling my work, don't I deserve eighty percent of what you make from it?" 

He chuckled and held up his glass. "Touché. Very well then, we'll be starting the auction soon, I hope you enjoy it. We've been looking forward to it." 

"Of course," I nodded, my smile dropping as I relaxed once he walked away. 

"You never fail to infuriate me in front of my friends," my father sighed. 

I glanced at him blankly. It was hardly my fault that he couldn't stand the mention of my mother to this day. "You've asked me to be here tonight and make that deal with the Riccis. I did what you told me to, my responsibilities end there."