Dec 31

A/N: Eugenielle fans, you might remember something I said in the comments of the Dec 7 chapter lololol ;)

This is a long chapter. It's 100% prose. I desperately need to cut down the length of future chapters because this isn't very sustainable lol (even if it's fun to write).

-

In the end, the Bailey twins and their dates met up with Fred, Danielle, and Eugene to visit the market in the middle of their town. The latter had managed to sneak out successfully (thanks to Bree). They all wanted to have a good time on New Year's Eve and start the new year off right.

Bree glanced out of the bus window. The seven of them were currently squished at the back of the bus and the bus was moving at a snail's pace. "Dammit, we miscalculated. This bus is gonna take a good while. Shall we do something to pass the time?"

"Ooh, truth or dare!" Fred immediately suggested with a wicked grin.

"That's a great idea because I can know you guys more, since I feel like a junior who's tagging along with the sophomores," Arthur added.

Alex glanced at Fred, amusement on her face. "Freddie, I don't think we should do dares on a crowded, moving bus..."

"Yup, last time Conner almost fell down the stairs for a dare," Bree commented nonchalantly.

"HEY!" Conner immediately retorted. "Why am I always the punching bag of the jokes?"

Bree poked Conner's cheek fondly. "You're a great punching bag, regardless."

Fred dramatically cleared his throat. "Ahem, no PDA on the bus. But yeah, Alex has a point. I guess we'll take turns asking each other questions and Arthur, as the Only Junior In Our Group, can get to know us!"

The teens nodded in agreement, then turned to the quiet corner in which Danielle and Eugene sat next to each other. Eugene was pressed between the bus window and Danielle and since he was wearing his thick down jacket again, he did look rather squished. "You guys okay?" Fred asked. As the Token Extrovert of the Single Trio, Fred felt the need to take care of them.

"Oh sure, I'm cool with anything." Eugene mildly shrugged.

Danielle gulped. "Just don't make the questions too spicy..."

"Dani," Eugene said matter-of-factly, "that's just gonna make you a target."

Danielle smacked Eugene's arm. "Oh, shut it, you."

The group decided to use an app to replace Spin the Bottle, and Arthur also offered to be the first person to be asked a question ("it's only normal, I'm the guy you know the least"). They decided they would spin it first to see who would ask Arthur the question, then Arthur would spin it, so on and so forth.

It landed on Fred first. The teens "aha-ed" appropriately. Bree, Danielle, and Eugene shared glances. Arthur grinned at Fred.

"So, Hayford, what's your question?"

The seconds that followed were unnecessarily tense, but in the end Fred returned the grin, leaned in close, and asked,

"Favourite Formula 1 driver?"

"Hmm." Arthur tapped his chin to think. "Maybe Max Verstappen? I like his ambition and... ahem, pardon the pun... his drive."

Fred gasped dramatically at Arthur's reply and Conner chuckled. "Whoops, Fred's a diehard Hamilton stan."

"Lewis Hamilton has got the drip!" Danielle cheered from the sidelines.

Fred smiled, good natured. "Nah, I'm cool. Good thing this didn't happen last year with the whole Verstappen vs Hamilton thing going on. Even though Max won again this year. Alright, Arthur, I guess it's time to see who you'll ask."