My arm tightened around her waist. "I wouldn't think of it, sweetheart." With a chuckle, I craned my neck to kiss her. 

Just as our lips grazed, we were interrupted by the screech of the bell. It was time.

I shut my eyes against the sound, but that wasn't what bothered me. It wasn't even close.

Kimberly's gaze lingered on the wired gates for a passing second before looking to me. Her own were full with reassurance, love, belief, and every single thing that seemed to soothe me back into myself.

"I love you," she said, plump lips rising at me into a soft smile. "And, I believe in you. Always."

The words were a harmony. With my hand to the back of her neck, I tugged her into me.

My lips cushioned against her own, slowly. Carefully, I savored the taste, the sensation, the everything of her. "I love you, baby. Thank you."

She smiled against me. "I'll be right here," she reminded me, hand tightening around my wrists as she nodded. "Right here."

We released one another once the reality of our time limit set in. It left me with such emptiness, goosebumps climbed up my skin at the loss.

I leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "Thank you for being my bodyguard, sweetheart."

It was partially true. Over the past year, I had taught Kimberly nearly everything I knew. I knew she was a quick learner, so it was nearly effortless.

I still recalled my favorite lesson with her. I was teaching her a new move, but I'd been so entrapped with how adorable she looked concentrated, that I forgot to dodge the hit. Because of it, she practically knocked my head right off my shoulders from her right hook.

The hit had hurt like a bitch, but it was easily the cutest thing I'd ever seen. I think I may have fallen for the girl even more, if that were even possible.

I heard her chuckle, but her gaze remained dreadful. I could see the worry and pride, but either way, I had to go on. I had to do this.

If I wanted to give Kimberly my all, I couldn't hold onto this man, the start of it all, any longer. Everything he inflicted would always be a part of me, but I could only give it as much power as I would allow.

I waited to be checked in, the uncomfortable chair digging into my skin. I barely paid it any mind; it meant nothing compared to what was about to happen.

Once I heard my name, I stood, but found my steps slowing without invitation. The only time that I'd ever been nervous in years was when I was with or around Kimberly.

Other times, the feeling was an unknown one. I'd already met the devil; what else should I be afraid of after that?

But, now that I was here, it was all hitting me. My insides ached with the weight. I could feel a headache beginning to set in the longer I shared a space with the fucker.

I had no idea how I'd react when I saw him, but since there was a window between us, the fucker was more than lucky.

I didn't consider it luck, not at all; I wanted to beat the bastard to death. His blood on my hands would only barely account for all the buckets he spilled.

The officer warned me of the rules, despite me already knowing them. My head bobbed on its own, despite the action being useless. I couldn't hear make understanding of anything past the roar of blood in my ears.

We stopped right around the corner, where I could hear the chatters of other visitors. Fuck.

"Stray from touching the glass," the officer warned, motioning toward where I would be seated. "If it gets too rowdy, we'll have to escort you off of the property."