"Lucas used to be fluent?"

"Yeah, a long time ago. He doesn't really announce it. I only found out he could understand everything I said when I tried talking shit about him in Spanish when he was in the room," Daniel said sheepishly. "His mom was Colombian."

Harley winced. "Was?"

Granted his mom was also dead, a bolt of pain still struck his chest hearing that. It wasn't something pleasant to hear anyone go through.

"Yeah, she passed 'bout a decade back. Don't bring that shit up with Lucas though, because it's still very much an open, festering wound, even after so many years," Daniel fixed him with a serious look, lips pursed. "I'm being for real. Even if you want to piss him off, find something else. Say something about his crooked teeth, just never bring up his mom. I was walking the boundary of getting my face pummeled in back there."

"Point taken. . ." Harley nodded slowly, eyebrows furrowing as Daniel's demeanor did a complete turn around back into its default carefree energy.

As the Friday evening waned on, Daniel called it wraps for that day's work, proclaiming that a smoke session was in order, to which José agreed whole-heartedly. Harley watched them gather their supplies, Daniel carrying over a colorful glass bong in the crook of his elbow and setting it gingerly down on the coffee table. He didn't exactly want to go back upstairs to his room by himself, thoroughly enjoying Daniel and José's presence, but knew being the only sober person in the room would probably also be incredibly boring.

Deciding to just stick around as long as possible, Harley simply watched as Daniel prepared, pouring water from a crumpled plastic water bottle into the bottom of the glass bowl and packing in the dried, deep green plant. It was obvious Daniel had done those same movements many times before, as his sure and agile movements were so quick, it was hard for Harley to even keep up.

A bubbling sound filled the room as Daniel leaned over the table, lighting the glass piece and inhaling as the smoke gathering at the base was sucked into his lungs. He sat back, holding in his breath for a moment before exhaling smoothly, glancing at Harley from the corner of his eye, a slight smirk playing in his lips.

"You want some, Harley?"

Harley's breath caught in his throat, freezing as his eyes widened at the question and his hands grew clammy.

"Um. . ." He trailed off dumbly, feeling his heart race in his chest. He had never done something like that, despite going to parties and sometimes seeing and smelling people smoking weed, he was relatively sheltered living in his aunt's house, and never really had the desire to try it. He's been asked multiple times before, and had always declined with that same anxious turning in his stomach, but he couldn't believe the response that came from his mouth now.

"Sure."

"You know how?" Daniel raised an eyebrow, scooting closer to Harley.

"Hell no," he replied with a nervous chuckle, as Daniel pushed the bong in front of him, and he was now staring down the smoky opening.

"Alright, just start inhaling when I light this," he instructed, his hand hovering over the slightly burnt pieces of plant with his thumb poised over the lighter.

"That's it?"

"Yeah, I'll do the rest, don't worry about it," Daniel assured, with a mischievous look that was not at all comforting to Harley.

"Oh my God," Harley grumbled to himself, his final thought as he leaned down to close his mouth over the opening being what the fuck am I doing?

Naturally, that was also when Lucas was making his way back downstairs. Harley couldn't see his expression, but could see his blurred figure stop by the bottom of the stairs as Daniel lit the bong, and Harley began to breathe in the smoke.