Chapter 4

Sadness welled up inside of Burt Johnson as he stood in the now empty flower shop.  The last of the inventory that did not go in their out of business sale had been sold to their local compeititor.  The displays and shelving had either been sold as well to other businesses or thrown out in the trash.   Even Elizabeth's desk and chair were donated to a local church .

I can't believe its over he thought as he ran his hand over the customer service counter.  It had been a good store.  No thanks to Elizabeth of course.  She spent most of her time in her office doing who knows what while her staff  actually made the business a success. 

Of course she took all the credit for it.  Claimed that she was the one who did all the work and that her staff were all lazy and incompetent.  The truth was of course she was the lazy one, she was the one who refused to put any effort into the store.  All she wanted to do was sit in her office, sip tea and verbal abuse her poor staff.

I'm shocked that they stayed as long as they did Burt thought. 

"The last of the trash has been taken out Mister Johnson."  A nineteen year old girl said as she walked from the back with Butch following behind her.  

"Thank you for coming back to help us close Clara."  Clara had been one of Elizabeth's best employees.  She was a hard worker who really loved her job despite the person she was working for.  And she would have probably been still working here if Elizabeth had no pushed her too far.  "I really appreciate it."

"No problem."  Clara said.  "I was glad to help."  She then handed him a set of keys.  "And thank you for the reference."

"You're welcome."  Burt said.

"I should go."  Clara said.

"Bye."

"It was nice meeting you Butch."  Clara said.

"Nice meeting you too."  Butch said with a clumsy smile across his face.  He then saw the amused look in his father's eyes and quickly looked away.  His face turned a slight red.

Clara then walked out and Burt then put his arm around his son and gave him an approving look as  said "Thank you for all your hard work these past couples of days."  Butch was suppose to start working at one of his gas stations but he had recruited him to work at the flower shop during its closing instead.

"No problem daddy."  Butch said with a smile.  "So what are you going to do with the store now?"

"I'm not sure."  Burt had been tempted to try to keep the store open.  Put up a sign that said under new management or even change its name. But sadly the damage had been done and the only thing their only option was close the store.  "I might rent it out to someone or open a another store."

"I think you should open another store."  Butch told him.

"You do." Burt said.

"Yeah."

"What kind of store?"

"A collectible store."  Butch said.  "You can call it Butch's collectibles."

Burt gave his son a amused grin as he said "I like that name."

The door then opened and man in his mid twenties with long blonde hair tied in a pony walked in.  "Sorry we are closed."  Burt said.  

"Hello Mister Johnson."  The man said awkwardly.

Burt did a double take as he looked at the younger man.  There was something familiar about him but could not place his face.  He studied him for a few seconds and then said "Blaine?"  A look of shock erupted across his face.  "Blane Summers?"