Chapter Twelve

_____________________

As the children piled up into the doors of the building, Max let out a breath standing by a tree across the street from the school. It was routinely for her to always keep her head low and not make eye contact with anyone at all. She didn't need friends, she had her sister — Jake, Daemon and Millie.

After building up the courage, she trotted forward and into the building. As usual, no one dared to cast a glance at her direction but today — today when she walked along the halls, it seemed as if all eyes were on her.

She only batted her curiosity to the thought of Sarah whining to every student how she lost the spot in the team just because it was given to her instead, deciding to entertain the idea for a while til she noticed something else.

Almost every student she walked by had a paper in their hands. Was there some sort of event coming up she was not aware of? Of course, she knew of the upcoming Snowball Dance but that wasn't until next month.

"Here she comes," one of the boys hit his friend's back, who's attention was set in his locker. "the psycho."

"She's so weird." His friend snickered shaking his head, grabbing his bag and walking passed her to their intended class.

"Freak." A kid spat, cackling.

"Should be locked up." One of the girls surrounded by her group of friends commented. "No seriously."

Distant chatter drummed in her ears as her heart quickened after picking up a discarded piece of paper. What was written on it was recognizable to her in a heartbeat. Her eyes skidded to all the skeptical pulled faces and eyes boring into her head around her.

"Look at her, she's embarrassed."

Max choked, holding back a sob as she attempted to snatch the papers from them. Laughter erupted immediately as she snatched paper after paper and face boiled with deep anger and frustration.

"Get away from me, you crazy bitch!" A girl pushed her back violently hissing.

"Get lost!" Another thundered and soon, all the students were throwing insults her way. "Go see a psychiatrist."

Loser.″

″Freak.″

″Psychopath.″

All their vile words triggered the voices and demons in her head as her ears began to ring. She clutched them hearing harsh insults penetrating her already fractured heart, now shattering to nothing but pieces.

Max ran. Ran away from their torments, attempting to find a quiet place in the bathroom when she also saw; photocopies of her diary glued on the walls and stalls of the bathroom.