Chapter Five

A loud gasp echoed through the dark room, panting for air escaped from the figures lungs. Exhale, inhale, exhale, inhale. The young girl reminds herself, trying to steady her fractured heart piercing it together to achieve the calm. Her adrenalin rushed with the pictures playing at her mind: fire blazing along the wired cables, engulfing the ferris wheel to ashes and smoke.

Amethyst pools of eyes found a figure besides her, slumbering away in a fetus position as an unknown source of wind blew her jet-black strands of hair.

Max's ragged breath was all that was heard in her room as she strained to steady it. Her eyes befalling on the open window of her room.

Standing up with exhausted wobbly legs, she moved towards the window seat grabbing ahold of it's holder when she heard a grizzly sound.

Instinctively, her head jolted upwards and her eyes gazed at the skies. She narrowed her eyes, standing as still as a statue to catch what made such a sound.

A thundering flap of wings echoed into the night sky carried by a lizard like shadow that released a terrifying whistle sound.

The girl quickly shut the windows, murmuring to herself that it was just a dream a number of times as she settles down to steady her own weight that seemed to anchor her to the floor.

In the corner of her eye, she saw the red dragon plushie on her nightstand. As she could not tear her eyes away, caught in a trance as her mind fleeted into the clouds, the pictures of the incident revealed themselves.

It was about three days ago that she jumped into that strange man's arms from the ferris wheel. She recalls engulfing her whimpering little sister and telling her ‘I'm still here’.

The firefighters arrived, searching whether anyone was still on the flame hugged ferris wheel. Shrills of paramedic vans screeched as the two girls were lost in a sea of people both trying to look for their family members who went into the ride and calling out for their names.

She remembered incoherent yelling all around her as her eyes glazed to the riding platform to detect white crown of hair but the tense atmosphere suffocated her sister so much that she just wanted to go home

Recalling how the fun, beautiful day turned ugly and grim. How she apologized to the little girl for her birthday to be riddled with trauma as she drifted off to a restless slumber in her arms, walking back home.

The auburn haired child let out a long sigh. She knew what happened in the amusement part was not a dream. If he sister woke up two days prior plagued with nightmares of the incident, then it was proof enough.

Which led a lone question to rotate around her mind. “Who are you?”

What was her business with him? And why did he risk his very life to save theirs? She knew it was a righteous act from a human to another but, she could not forget that he chased her down the big halls with a freaking sword.

A part of her sickeningly reminded her that she would not see the last of him any time soon. Whether it be in her dreams or in her dull realities.

One Saturday morning, she got herself ready wearing a pale blue short and a striped shirt to go with it. Accompanied by red converse: tying the laces secured before taking the skateboard along with her.

She locked the front door and left the building with her sister, seeing a familiar yellow taxi. If one were to look at it carefully, it had small designs and stickers to set it apart from the regular New York taxi.

Climbing in it and situation herself in the passenger seat while hers sister babbles about in the back seat with her build-a-bear Stitch plushie, she lazily slouched back with a sigh.