Chapter 2: Fox and the Soldier

Y/N POV:

With Ahri on my back and the streets of New Mombasa before us, i had a feeling it was gonna be awhile before we find any form of help, so best make due with what we've got.

Exiting the building, the bodies of the covenant were still there and Ahri grimaced at seeing them.

Y/N: Might wanna get used to seeing those, cuz you're gonna be seeing them from a distance if I've gotta engage in a fight.

Ahri: Why would they come after us? Why are they targeting us?

Y/N: That I do not know. They are the covenant, and they conquer and steal. That's how they took Reach.

Me and the Fox lady walked between some burning car wreckage, the flames providing warmth in the now dusk coldness.

Ahri: What's Reach?

Y/N: That was classified info but seeing how everyone knows about Reach, you can know too. Reach was...

I explained to the mysterious fox woman what Reach was and the story of what happened to it. She looked relatively saddened to hear Reach's fate but I told her that it's war and there's nothing we can do.

Time passed by as my watch now read 10:56pm. Night had fallen and we had holed up by a burning truck. The trailer was still on fire as the truck was already abandoned. The truck was a good solid 10 feet away from the trailer and we could both feel the heat. We sat inside the sleeper of the semi as it was relatively unscathed. We sat in the sleeper and Ahri snuggled into the bed as I climbed out of the truck to keep watch. I told her that I'd get her out of here, and I will do that, cuz Y/N never goes back on his word.

A few covenant ships flew over us as they searched for any stragglers. From position under the back axle, I could make out about 5 jackal snipers on the first 2 ships. They hovered over our area and then left, their cannons arming themselves. The ships flew out of my viewpoint and I climbed back into the cab. Ahri was sound asleep on the bed and I looked at her for a minute.

Y/N: /She's hot for sure, what if I were to ask her ou- no, it can happen naturally, if she wants.\

The fox woman shivered alittle under the blanket, so I opened the side sleeper door alittle to let more heat in. I sat in the front and took off my helmet, and held it in front of me.

Looking at myself in visor's reflection I sighed. My (h/c) colored hair waving alittle from the wind, and looking back at me were those piercing (e/c) eyes of mine. The shine in them was still there, and I was surprised that it hasn't faded for how long I've served and the shit I've seen. I swear, I don't want anyone else to go through what we've seen. Watching multiple planets get glassed for hostile takeover, forced to leave behind people you became acquainted with on them. At least they haven't hit home tho, that's still intact, well I hope. I haven't sent dad a message since my 2 to last mission. I'll send him one when I finish this mission.

Y/N: Something tells me this is my final mission, I mean, just look at the odds.

I chuckled to myself.

Y/N: I'm one man vs a whole entire army, I ain't gonna survive this.

I looked back at the woman under the blankets, her blonde hair reminding me of my ex's hair.

Y/N: Guess I'll listen to some tunes from home.

I had voice commands initiate my music playlist and sat there staring at the sky, the snow coming down around us not seen anymore, as the storm had stopped. The sky opened up to show the city skyline riddled with mini fires in the tall skyscrapers.

I pressed the button on my walkie to see if anything was new.

Y/N: Overlord Actual, Overlord Actual, come in