Chapter 53

I wonder what life truly is. If the definition of life really means anything, especially since it no longer has a time limit. Is life the time between birth and death, or is it the slight moment of the universe telling you that it's your time to shine? To step in with a red string, no matter your connections, your ancestors, your godly or mortal acclaim? 

Or is it to be a star? To burn bright and far from the people you truly love? Light years apart to search for another milky way, for another universe where you burn brightest? 

I wonder if war really has a definition, beyond the ideas of blood and the clashes of swords. Beyond the shell shock, beyond the rumbling of power, the hints of secrecy and alliance. If the God of War existed before or after war itself, if he was born from something unlike bloodshed. A war of love, a war of feelings, a war of words, a war of life. 

Do the red in his eyes look like blood or the sunset? The silver gleam reflecting the iron of swords or of constellations? Could a madman look that beautiful against the moonlight? 

A wind stirs from around us, chilly to the skin, but nothing to the warmth between us. A field of wildflowers. Clouds dappling the inky dark blue sky, the twinkling of gems above us. Artemis's field. His hand is in my own, his thumb caressing the back of my hand. I look around, the world around me suddenly vibrant. The blues and the greens, the shadows were all rigid, stark in contrast with each other. And the feeling... 

The power of the field wafts all around us. In the wind, from the leaves, from the soil. Ares's power encompasses both of us, far more stable and engulfing. Almost as if it were part of the field itself, his power seemed like a part of the world. Is that how it works? 

Chao's domain was an extension of their power. If I were powerful enough, would my power materialize into a domain of my own? I swallow. "I'm tired." My voice feels far, like it was carried away by the wind. My god nods. 

"Where would you like to go?" Home. 

"Is my apartment still in my name?" He blinks, his brow slightly furrowing. "Is all of my stuff still there?" 

"Would you like to go back?" I nodded. There's a slight hint of fear in his eyes, but he kisses the crown of my head. "As you wish, my love." I watch the world spin, my lungs filling almost on instinct as we teleported into a dark room. I recognize it immediately. The telltale sign of my heart was still left beneath the floorboards--almost as if it were trapped in time. Back in my memories of before everything went to shit. I've come back. I almost collapse as he lets me go, stumbling toward my bed. Everything is exactly as it was. 

There was no layer of dust on the photo frames on my desk and the sheets still smelled fresh. Did he take care of the apartment while I was with him? I tugged at the heavy gear, groaning softly when the buckles wouldn't budge. Ares kneels beside me, sliding a hand against the hem of the enchanted armor. Goosebumps rise to my skin and I hold my breath as he undoes them, his fingers working quickly.

Has a god ever kneeled before someone like me before? 

I pull it off and undo my boots, kicking them off as I pull the sheets over me. 

I feel like curling up and sleeping for days. Ares chuckles as I sigh, my limbs finally feeling relaxed after what felt like years. "How comfortable are you with having visitors?" I sit up instantly, my heart suddenly leaping in my chest. Visitors? In my apartment? Ares takes in my reaction and I swallow. Someone other than Ares? 

"Who?" What if they want to know more? How did I become immortal? Why did I change? 

I should be dead, not in my bed--What do I say? Where could I even start? Do I even know? I don't think I'm even breathing.