Chapter 32

"Are you sure you're okay?" Apollo opens the door to the villa, his eyes running up and down my figure. I nodded, using the wipes that he gave me to get the blood off my face. "You just... stabbed him?"

I nodded again, dropping my bag onto the floor. "Yeah. He ran into the knife, so I can't really take credit for it." I lie straight through my teeth and he nods from the door. I tilt my head at him and he rubs the back of his neck. 

"Artemis doesn't let any males into the villa. We're forbidden." I laugh, before smiling gratefully at him. That was something Artemis would probably do. 

"Thanks for bringing me here. Don't..." My words die out and he nods in response. 

"Don't let Ares know?" I fiddle with my fingers. "Yeah, I got that. Make sure that you eat today, okay?" And at that moment, I see Trevor in Apollo's eyes, and I think my heart breaks all over again. My voice sticks in my throat like a fishbone and I nod, waving at him as he closes the door. 

My hands haven't stopped shaking since I've seen Keith. I clench my hands into fists, heading toward the bathroom. I glance at the clock. 7:00 AM. I run my hand through my hair and don't look in the mirror as I get into the shower. 

- - -

"Human, human!" I glance toward the window, tilting my head at the speaker. 

"Hey." I move toward them, the group of nymphs smiling at me from the window. 

"Check your front door! A man told us to give you something, he was really good-looking." I turn, raising my eyebrow as I head toward the front door. My hand closes around the door knob with an electric shock but I don't react, turning it. 

When I pull it open, there's a cute wooden box filled with items before me. I crouch down to look at it, eyes wide. There are several stones of rose quartz, strawberry-flavored snacks, a soft pink candle, several flowers pressed into slots, along with a small card tucked in front. I pull it out, the smooth paper feeling cool against my skin. 

'For you.

-A and Athena'

I smile softly to myself. Ares's and Athena's handwritings couldn't be more different. Athena's were broad, sweeping strokes, while Ares's was minimal. These gods were so strange. I pick up the box, before sliding the door closed. I move toward the windowsill, where the nymphs were crowded around. They giggle as I set it before them and I glance at each snack in curiosity. 

"Human world food," I tilted my head at the nymphs. 

I don't think they were exposed to much of the outside world. They lived here... Under Artemis's protection. "Want some?" They all nodded eagerly. "Would Artemis let you guys try some?"

"She brings some for us every so often."

"Yeah, but she's been busy recently so..." One of them pouts and I laughed. I push the box toward them. They all squeal in excitement, pawing through the box in childlike astonishment. "What's this?" A sleek, leather journal rises into the air, held by two fingers. My stomach lurches inside of me and I take it from the nymph, holding the book closer to my body. 

"It's--uhm--enjoy the snacks!" I mumble hurriedly, stealing away from the nymphs. I head to the door and I already know where I'm headed. To the cliff, to the deep blue of the ocean and the sky. A chair comes into view and the shade of a large tree calls to me. I sit on the chair, glancing out at the horizon. I open it, my fingers brushing against the bookmark that he got me. 

The journal seems to steady my hands and I hold it, firmly. My hands don't shake. The leather, the pages, the handwriting feels so painfully familiar and... I don't read it. I hold it close to me, my heartbeat slowing in my chest and I feel like I'm found. Not by Apollo, not by Ares.