♠ Twenty Two

"You're telling me that our new director wants to take you out for dinner?" Adam scoffed, a sleazy smile skirting across his face as he unlocked the door to the apartment. Zoe rolled her eyes, shuffling past him as best as she could. Her ribs were pulsating with pain, she needed her painkillers as soon as possible. Her mind was whirring with the thought of Mr Barber inviting her out to dinner. 

"He wants us to talk about a script, that's all" Zoe huffed, slinging her stuff down and heading into the bathroom. Fishing around in the cabinet, she grabbed the painkillers and walked back into the kitchen, Adam leaning against the counter, face still plastered with a grin. 

"You're going to end up fucking him, mark my words" Adam wagged his finger, walking backwards to his room. 

"What a combination... a cop and a director. Who knew you had it in you" He chuckled, shaking his head. Zoe gritted her teeth, not biting on Adam's words. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a reaction. After Adam had barricaded himself in his room, Zoe turned to face Amy who had thrown herself on the sofa and was flicking through TV channels. 

"He does have a point-" 

"Don't you dare agree with him" Zoe cut Amy off. She refused to believe anything else was going to happen between herself and Mr Barber. He was pompous and she... well, wasn't. 

"Zoe, you aren't that naive, are you?" Amy raised her eyebrows, clearly siding with Adam. 

"He's our boss. He's also completely not my type, also he's an arse!" Zoe shot out, shaking her head and storming to her room- as best as she could, the pain zipping it's way around her body. She couldn't believe the audacity of both Adam and Amy. There wasn't a chance, at all, she would go anywhere near Charlie Barber. Heading to her desk, Zoe threw all the paperwork Charlie had so kindly given her, muttering under her breath as she searched for her painkillers. As Zoe knocked back her tablets, the faint vibration of her phone disrupted her annoyed muttering. Fishing her phone out of her jacket pocket, Zoe's stomach flipped as she the name "Ronnie" flash on her screen. 

'Hi. I was just checking in and seeing how your first day went. Ronnie' Zoe's eyes flashed over the text, her face contorting into a confused expression. She didn't know how to deal with her Ronnie situation, she had no balls to go back to the apartment and face him. Especially if his childhood sweetheart were there. Then again, she knew, she had no reason to be pissed, not really. A couple of minutes passed, then Zoe typed back a quick response, telling Ronnie everything was going absolutely fine. With that, she pulled the chair from her desk, plonked her ass down and started cross referencing all the paperwork her ever-so charming boss had given her. 

--

Allowing moments to pass after Zoe had headed to her room, Amy switched the TV off and crept over to the door of Adam's room. Her hand hesitated as she lifted up, balling her hand into a fist before she knocked on his door. Seconds went by, before she heard Adam shuffling around his room, the door opening and revealing his half naked body to her. 

"Did you purposely plan that?" She asked, rolling her eyes as she pushed passed Adam and entered his room. 

"Please, come in" He remarked, sarcastically. Adam swung the door closed as Amy removed he box of tissues off his bed, as well as closing the laptop that had got multiple porn tabs open on it. She needed them to get it out in the open, the Hannah situation. It was bugging her and she didn't know why, that was a lie, she knew exactly why it was bugging her. 

"Does it really not bother you that Hannah lives across the all from us?" She blurted out, not even bothering to build up to the conversation. Adam's demeanour changed at the mere mention of Hannah's name. He shook his head, yanking the t-shirt off the bed and slipping it over his head.