Chapter 40 - Collapsed

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Hey! I lived in the Spring Court!" She retorted, a twinkle in her eye.

"Yeah, and you were fucking batshit crazy when you lived there!" Cassian bellowed as Mor and Azriel sniggered under their breath. "What kind of insane human would go under the mountain? Someone with their mind fucked up from all that pollen—that's who."

Nearly everyone broke down into laughter as Feyre took the ribbing with grace, Rhys squeezing her hand as Elain chuckled along as well. She looked then, toward Rhys, her eyes widening as she waited for his answer.

Feyre and Rhys looked at each other, an exchange passing between them that only the mates would ever know. "I'm sorry for underestimating you." Rhys bowed his head toward Elain as Feyre hiked Nyx up higher in her lap, nodding her head as well. "Never feel that you need to prove yourself to any of us— you are just as much part of this Inner Circle as any of us. I'd love nothing more than for you to stay in Velaris. In fact," he glanced then toward Feyre who reached her hand over, placing her hand on his as she joined her mate in beaming across the table toward Azriel and Elain. "We'd like to give you the Townhouse officially... to both of you. We want it to be your home."

Elain felt her breath catch as the tears threatening to spill over finally escaped, tumbling down her cheeks as she let out a relieved sigh, turning toward Azriel who immediately swept her into his arms, with a gigantic smile, hugging her and kissing the top of her head.

She giggled, nuzzling under his chin before she felt her skin prickle, turning then to see the entire Inner Circle staring at them in shock, Cassian and Rhys' mouths agape as Mor covered her mouth with her hand, a chuckle falling from her lips. Cocking her head, she glanced up at Azriel, her brows furrowed. He only shook his head, his laugh falling out from his lips as Elain realized his brothers were probably not used to seeing the Shadowsinger tangled in joyful displays of public affection.

Nuzzling back under his chin, Elain smiled, her heart glowing as she realized, not for the first time, that no one else knew her Shadowsinger in the way she did. And the thought warmed her soul even more, Azriel's arms around her as Nyx's giggle echoed in the room, mingling with the laughter and shuffling chairs of the Inner Circle taking their leave, the business now finished.

゚☆: *.☽ ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── ☽ .* :☆゚

Azriel leaned against the door frame, crossing his arms.

Elain and Feyre were playing with Nyx on the carpeted floor, working on getting the babe to crawl. He had been making progress over the past few weeks, seeming eager to do more than just tug his little body forward, but he was proving to be a little lazy. Azriel laughed to himself as he watched Feyre and Elain tumble around on the floor in their dresses, crawling in circles around the babe, trying to get him motivated to do more than just sit.

Azriel and Elain had been settling into a relaxed routine recently—their lives intermingling with Rhys and Feyre and visits to see Nyx, along with regular visits to the House of Wind. The day after tomorrow, Elain had announced that she wanted to invite her sisters and their mates to the townhouse for a mid-autumn family dinner. She wanted to test out a new biscuit recipe, and was wondering if he knew anything about cooking sirloin steaks. She had only done roast chicken in the past, and Azriel warmly agreed, happy to be useful in the kitchen for once.

It felt so strange yet so wonderful to be needed.

Azriel had been needed throughout his life... as a torturing spymaster, a warm body in bed, and sometimes just another able-bodied male for the battlefield. He had been needed as a brother and as a son to his mother, but he had never been needed as a true lover and companion before. He had never known such companionship and warmth—the way two faeries could fall into a simple routine, the balance and sway of life falling into place as a couple established themselves.