"I like him." Her mother announced, sitting down next to her on the window seat. Jess jumped, unaware she wasn't alone. Her mother gave her a knowing look that Jess could read all too easily. Maybe her admiration for him wasn't so secretive after all.

Jess furrowed her brow at her. "You like who?" She asked, trying to play dumb.

"Jake."

"Oh, yeah. He's great." Jess replied, giving a little nod and sipping her drink again.

"No, I really, really like him, Jess. He's one of the good ones, I can tell."

Jess raised an eyebrow at her. "Uh, okay...should I pass him on your mobile number?"

She gave her a stern look.

"Nothing gets past me, my love. You've got the hots for him." She wiggles a finger in her face.

Jess rolled her eyes and turned away from the window. She didn't want to add further proof to that claim.

"I don't have the hots for anyone." She lied. Her mother wasn't falling for her false claims; she knew. She could read her daughter like an open book. How did mothers always know? "I'm not interested in dating right now. It's too soon."

Her mother covered her hand with hers, and the softness of her touch made Jess meet her gaze. "It'll always be too soon. or not the right time. Look at me. I said I'd wait until you were older, and then you got older and left, and here I am. Still alone." She shook her head, her eyes sad. "I don't want that for you."

Jess squeezed her hand. "Mam, you can go out dating if you want to."

She shook her head. "No, that's not what I mean. I'm lucky I had you to focus on. You deserve a full life, Jess; you deserve love and children..."

"Mam, please don't start this again... I'll date when I'm ready."

Jess glanced out the window, but Jake was now gone.

Where was he?

"You said that last time I asked you." She told her.

"Yes, and I'll keep on saying it until I am ready. I'm sorry, but I need more than a year to move on from the fact that my husband died. The man I was prepared to spend the rest of my life with is gone. You of all people should understand."

"I didn't say you should move on; I said you should date. Just have some fun."

"Mam, please-"

Suddenly, a piano started playing in the front room. The tune of Jingle Bell Rock filled the house, followed by a perfect harmonic voice singing the words.

Jess and her mother got up, their conversation forgotten, as they made their way to the hallway, where the old, unused piano sat. Jake sat there on the wooden stool, his back slightly hunched over, as his fingers moved up and down the keys effortlessly.

Her stomach squeezed.

The kids came running in from the other room, gathering around the piano to sing along. She felt tears sting her eyes as he sang with them. Uncle Joe appeared and patted his shoulder. Jean came next, singing along with a big smile on her face. She had a very operatic voice, and Jake gaped in awe. I forgot to tell him how good a singer she was.

Jess moved to stand against the wall, desperate to get a good look at his face. His eyes met hers, and he gave her a big grin as he sang along. She wondered if he had heard some of the conversation with her mother and rescued her. But was that all he had heard, or had he heard more?