LXXXI

The date on Brett's phone showed the 23rd of December. The day before Christmas Eve. He sighed deeply and looked up from his device just to see that huge, glittery Christmas tree in their living room, reminding him that he was a terrible best friend for still not having a gift ready.

He sighed again. His eye caught the picture of Eddy on the pillow with his mouth open, looking like a complete dork.
"Yeah, I know!", Brett said to the pillow and threw it to the other side of the couch.

The real Eddy was practicing his Sibelius in his room, bringing the dance of the third movement to life. Brett knew he'd be at it for at least the next hour or so and decided to step out and get them something to eat. Eddy had been cooking a lot recently, it was more than overdue to show him his thanks for all his culinary efforts.

Brett went to the baozi stall near their apartment and got six meat and spring onion filled ones for both of them and two red bean sweet ones for Eddy. Of course he stopped by the closest bubble tea store to buy Eddy an extra large one. He eyed the cup enviously while telling himself, that his first one after what felt like forever wasn't far from his grasp.

Like on cue, his phone rang.
"Hello Mr. Yang, it's Dr. Han."
"Oh, good morning", Brett greeted and tried to grab all the bags with the food and the cold beverage with one hand.
"I hope I'm not disturbing you, but I'd like you to come in before New Year's to do another check up, so we can eventually change your diet if possible."
"Okay." Brett started to walk back home. "When would you like me to come in?"

They set a date for a few days after Christmas and Brett felt a bit lighter when he hung up. A change in his momentarely better than before, but still very bland diet would be a great start into 2021. One he'd welcome with open arms.

Eddy's violin was still being played, when Brett arrived. He took another minute to set the table and listen to Eddy's attempts on that one particular part in the third movement with the crazy arpeggios jumping straight into the thirds going up, which probably scared tons of violinists across the world.
He smiled. It wasn't perfect yet, but Eddy was definitely getting there.

"Eddy?", Brett knocked on the door of Eddy's bedroom, "I brought breakfast, you wanna take a break?"
"Coming!", Eddy yelled behind the door.

"Bubble tea for breakfast? You wanna make me fat or something?", Eddy asked with a smirk when he saw Brett's version of the most important meal of the day.
"A little thank you for all the cooking you did recently."
"That wasn't necessary!" Eddy sat down and grabbed one of the still hot buns.
"It really is! You kept us alive! Thank you for that", Brett said and took a bite from his, savouring the taste. It had been one of the dishes he'd missed dearly.

There was a comfortable silence for a few minutes in which they were munching on their baozis.
"Your Sibelius is coming along nicely", Brett remarked after he'd finished his second bun.
Eddy groaned. "I hate that passage in the third movement though! It's such a pain in the ass. And why did Sibelius had to repeat it like three four times? Not fair!"
"The one you've just practiced before?"
"Yeah. It's so difficult to get the notes in tune and connect the different parts. Ugh!" He rubbed his eyes with his bao-free hands.
"Glad I don't have to play that one", Brett grinned.
"I wished I could get tips on how to optimize the fingerings there."
Something in Brett stirred and he pricked up his ears. "Yeah?"
"Yeah! But who'd give me lessons on such short notice, right? So no way."
Brett took a mental note and smiled. "True, that would be difficult."

"Hey, about tomorrow", Eddy changed the topic and picked a red bean bun from the plastic bag, "Christmas Eve, anything you wanna do? Like specifically?"
Brett looked up. "Haven't really thought about it. Since there's still very little I can eat... Not really, I guess. We have that giant tree already, so that's festive enough for me. You? Do you have plans?"
He sure as hell hoped Eddy's plans included him, but who knew? Their families weren't in Singapore of course, but maybe Eddy wanted to be alone or meet other friends?
However, the smile Eddy gave him erased all of Brett's doubts and his fear of having to spend Christmas alone. It was more radiant than that unicorn ornament hanging on their fake tree.
"I kinda have a plan...", he said mysteriously, "so just keep your evening free."
"Oh... Okay...", Brett managed and tried to hide how nervous those few words made him. Nervous and giddy.
"Something I need to prepare?", he asked, trying to extract some information.
"Nah. Just be around."
"Where would I go anyway?", Brett mumbled, slightly grinning stupidly.

But before he could get too worked up over the possible things Eddy could have planned for them, there was something Brett needed to organize first.  So after breakfast, when Eddy went back to practice, he called a certain someone and luckily, that someone agreed to participate in Brett's idea.